Connecting an iPOD to my HiFi system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

My current system comprises an Arcam CD73 and an Arcam 480 Amp from which I drive, in separate rooms, pairs of Quad 11, Audio Monitor CI miniature wall mounted and KEF ceiling mounted speakers via a QED SS21 switch.

The CD73 has been playing up for ages and is driving me mad even though it has been 'repaired'. Does this series have a history or is it just my model?

Anyway I have access to an iPOD Classic 160gb and so am exploring connecting it to my system rather than buying a new CD player.

Does anyone have any advice on the best options and products to buy to connect the iPOD to my system?

Cheers, John

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi

To connect the ipod, you will need something like this
http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=2204&customer_id=PAA1248081309365QGMSKVVGJRPHKKCC

or this

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/site/scripts/product_browse.php?product_id=2872

There should be plenty of similar conectors on eBay or at various other outlets.

Also you may want an ipod dock, such as this

http://www.richersounds.com/product/ipod-mp3-accessories/cambridge-audio/id10/camb-id10-ipod-dock

A

Anonymous

re the CD73T - yes, I think there may be some issues with this unit. My CD transport on that unit decided it would not always recognise discs when inserted. I also had issues with the right channel cutting out. However, Arcam came to my rescue and even though the unit was out of its generous 3 year warranty period, the nice man from tech support I spoke to said I had been unlucky and that one would not expect a player that was 4 years old to have such a list of faults. They repaired it FOR FREE ! Can't complain at that kind of great service. I read on forums about other CD73 problems and I think they tend to be either to do with the laser or else the (Sony sourced) transport mechanism. Shame, as I rate it as a fine CD player.

re your IPOD - I'm not an apple user - does your iPod have a digital optical or coaxial out? If it does, the best sound quality would be had from connecting it to a DAC, such as one of the Beresfords, the Mobile Fidelity v-DAC, the Cambridge Dacmagic, or a more expensive one if you have the money. If it doesn't, then you could go for just a cable, or else an ipod dock, such as Arcam's offering, which I believe is/was good.

DarkstarR

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I went for the iChord, rather than the Russ Andrews (although imagine that the Russ Andrews is a great product!), because I wanted to also charge my ipod whilst docked. The Russ Andrews connects via dock connection, so charging would not be possible with this product.

The iChord is a great product!

A

Anonymous

Be sure to use a cable from the Dock connector end of ipod to the amp. connections. Only available form Russ Andrews.

Sounds superb.

idc

Hopefully this will help -

Regards to the ways of connecting an ipod directly to an amp:

- LOD or line out dock. A connector goes into the port at the base of the ipod and a cable runs to either a mini jack or phonos, which then plug into the amp. This connection usually bypasses the ipods own amplifier, but not its DAC. The volume is then controlled by the amplifier. The ipod is not charged through the LOD. Examples of LODs are the GQ-24 from Russ Andrews and the iBasso CB03. Both sound excellent.

- Dock. The dock connects through the ipod's port, but it also charges the ipod and does not always bypass the ipods amp, so the connection is different. Many docks then connect by minijack to minijack or to phono cables. Examples are from Cambridge, Apple and Arcam. See What Hifi reviews as many docks are not great.

- Minijack. A minijack cable from the headphone output at the top of the ipod to minijack or phono. The headphone out is the least effective way of connecting an ipod to anything. There are loads of such cables on Amazon and ebay, most for under a tenner and that cheapness reflects the lower standard of connection.

- the Wadia itransport. This bypasses the ipod's amp and DAC. Phono cables are then used to connect it to the amp. It is expensive and reviewed by What Hifi.

The alternative to the above is not to use an ipod at all. A PC with itunes connects to the amp via a DAC. Some amps have their own internal DAC. The PC usually connects to such an amp with a USB cable. Otherwise the DAC sits between PC and amp. The connection by PC to DAC is either USB, optical or digital cable. The DAC then connects to amp by phono cables.

There are other variations, but the above are the most common.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts