Connect iPod Classic to existing hifi/av

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'd really like to find a way to integrate my iPod Classic 160GB with my existing hifi and AV system that doesn't torture my ears or cost the earth. The system consists of a Marantz PM6002 amp (analogue inputs only) + Marantz CD6002 CD-player + Mordaunt Short 902i speakers + Sony DAV-IS10 (spare inputs = DMPORT, digital optical, digital coax) + Sony KDL32D3000. All decent products but hardly high end, so it would be crazy to spend too much on the iPod integration, say less than £100 for audio only and and less than £250 for all the bells and whistles.

I already have a Cambridge Audio id10 iPod dock but the sound is mediocre, the iPod charging can't be switched off, there is no remote, no video and it doesn't integrate with the hifi or av system. It was only £10 though.

The features that are important to me are:

1. the sound -- I've ripped all my tracks at MP3 max quality VBR so I'm expecting that the sound quality should be pretty close to the CD6002.
2. the ability to play the iPod via the hifi without continuously charging.
3. the connection to the iPod has to be via the 30pole connector

Less important but still desirable are

4. being able to operate the iPod from a distance, which means
a) it is controllable via a remote (either its own or that for the PM6002 or the DAV-IS10)
b) information should be displayed on the remote, the TV or the hifi (there is no point being able to control the iPod using a remote if you have to go right upto it to see what you are doing).
5. it would be nice if the display used the album art I've put on the iPod and even better if the iPod display were replicated.
6. Ideally I'd like to be able to choose whether to use the analogue line out (i.e. omitting the iPod volume control from the signal path) or the digital audio out (i.e. avoiding the internal DAC as well).

I'm not really bothered about outputting video to the TV -- the classic screen is low res so the picture quality is likely to be poor anyway.

As far as I can see it the best options that are within budget are:

Russ Andrews GQ-24 ipod audio interconnect (£70) -- simple cable solution but will probably give best sound for the money

Arcam rDock (£130+) -- looks and sounds good, no remote or display (except when used with Solo/Solo Mini) -- doesn't justify the extra £60 over the GQ-24

Marantz IS-201 (£110) -- integrates with Marantz amp, has remote and OSD, may not be compatible with classic, not as good as rDock sonically -- may be worth the extra £40 over the GQ-24 if it is compatible

Marantz IS-301 (£255) -- integrates with Marantz amp, nice 3 part docking station, compatible with classic, wireless, but very expensive and bluetooth doesn't bode well for the sound quality -- doesn't justify extra £180 over GQ-24.

Any other suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Would the AppleTV just be sync-ed from the same library as the iPod? It would have better connectivity (HDMI + digital optical audio). The 160GB AppleTV is kind of within budget.

John Duncan

haystacks2:
Would the AppleTV just be sync-ed from the same library as the iPod? It would have better connectivity (HDMI + digital optical audio). The 160GB AppleTV is kind of within budget.

Tick, tick, tick. If it's in budget then it's a great option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts