Confessions of a box swapper

aversaurus

I like to chop and change my systems quite often.
I have 3 set ups at any one time and when I fancy a change or something catches my eye I will sell a amplifier and pick up a new one or what I see as a upgrade.
I only really buy used .I see hifi as a journey I like to start low end and upgrade buy buying and selling.
In my time I have owned a lot of amplifiers and to a lesser extent speakers and DAC,s .
I'm sure there must be other box swappers on here .
Any questions please ask

I have 3 set ups at any one time and when I fancy a change or something catches my eye I will sell a amplifier and pick up a new one or what I see as a upgrade.
I only really buy used .I see hifi as a journey I like to start low end and upgrade buy buying and selling.
In my time I have owned a lot of amplifiers and to a lesser extent speakers and DAC,s .
Any questions please ask
why do you have three setups?

jjbomber

I have 3 set ups at any one time
I'm the same. Have the AV system, the active system, a headphone system, a mu-so for the kitchen and a passive system for the bedroom. Depends what mood I'm in! For the amount of money I have wasted on hi-fi, I could have taken up smoking!

Any questions please ask
There are a few that like to chop and change their boxes, but few, if any, have had the sort of system you've got.

I don't think you realise what a beast you have in the Tucana. I've seen that thing drive 5-k speakers with ease and like it's from a different planet. That was one reason why I moved mine on... the rest of my kit wasn't doing justice to the amp.

aversaurus

The Tucana was the amplifier I was never going to own .
To expensive out of my league a end of the journey amp .
A keeper to be sure but not the only great amplifier I've come across on my journey.
And yes my speakers don't do it justice but I'm on a budget.i buy cheap and sell on for a profit and move on if possible.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
What are your findings or confessions as a box swapper, other than you admit you like to be a box swapper?

I’m the opposite and only box swap for functionality reasons or if something fails, but I’m more likely to repair than replace.

aversaurus

When I was a kid my dad had a sansui 101 with a Pye stereo+ 2 and 4 solervox speakers and a sansui turn table in quite a large room to me is sounded amazing much better then any of my friends dad's systems..
When I got my own place I headed on down to richer sounds and picked out a set of speakers a Cambridge amplifier and a Sony cd player.
It sounded ok but if I maybe updated the amp it would sound better.
That's the start .

My first proper speakers were Solavox. They were ok for the price but the Linton XP2s were superior.

I acknowledge and respect "box swappers" but don't really understand why. I know the exact sound I want, once that's achieved I'm a very happy bunny. My current bundles is stunning, and to achieve a worthwhile upgrade I would have to spend thousands.

Reactions: WayneKerr

aversaurus

There's not much I regret selling but there are some.
sansui au 417 a great amplifier.
Rega mira 3 another great sounding amplifier but it broke I got it repaired and it broke again so sold on for spare or repair.
And some mission floor standers .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts