Conecting notebook to Cambridge 740c CD player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm want to listen to Spotify etc through my Hi Fi.

I was thinking of connecting a notebook (or laptop) to my Cambridge 740c CD player to do this. If I have understood the intsructions properly it can be used as a DAC so if I put the notebook through this and subsequently through the 740 amp I should get good quality sound. Is this right?

Secondly, if I am right what is the best way of making the connection? The 740c has two S/P DIF inputs and two Toslink optical inputs. Which one should I use and do I need a similar output on the notebook, from the research I have done they don't seem to have them. Will the headphone output do?

Any advice will be gratefully received, but please keep in mind I am a technophobe so any answers in plain English please.

Thanks in advance

John Duncan

With a laptop I'd suggest that an optical out is the best thing to use (simply because it negates some of the electrical interference a laptop is prone to). The Tosh may have an optical out somewhere - what model is it?

A

Anonymous

I haven't bought one yet, this is what I'm looking into. Any recommendations would be welcome but I am on a budget and not a huge one. I can listen to Spotify etc on my PC but that is in a seperate room to my Hi Fi. My brother suggested a Homeplug to connect everything and a laptop/notebook to plug into my system, but before I invest I want to make sure that

a) it is possible, and

b) I will get decent sound

As I said earlier any advice (in plain English) will be gratefully accepted

Thank you

SteveR750

Dickymint 7:
I'm want to listen to Spotify etc through my Hi Fi.

I was thinking of connecting a notebook (or laptop) to my Cambridge 740c CD player to do this. If I have understood the intsructions properly it can be used as a DAC so if I put the notebook through this and subsequently through the 740 amp I should get good quality sound. Is this right?

Secondly, if I am right what is the best way of making the connection? The 740c has two S/P DIF inputs and two Toslink optical inputs. Which one should I use and do I need a similar output on the notebook, from the research I have done they don't seem to have them. Will the headphone output do?

Any advice will be gratefully received, but please keep in mind I am a technophobe so any answers in plain English please.

Thanks in advance

You cannot use the headphone out, unless it is a combined headphone / optical out (s/pdif). The analogue headphone out is using the PCs internal DAC and amp which will be pretty poor. If your PC does not have an optical out, then you will have to connect using a USB connection, which since your 740CD player dosnt have a USB input means you can't connect the two. You will either have to buy a separate USB DAC, or buy a PC with an optical out. As far as I know, all Macbooks have an optical out, and some of the more expensive P laptops do (the Sony viao multi media laptops have it for example, and like the Mac they start at £800+)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts