Compromising Situation!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi;

I currently have a Rotel Pre/Power amp, Marantz CD63 and MA Silver RS6 stereo speakers....

I also have an, effectively redundant, Denon AV Amp which is simply used to switch between Wii and Xbox consoles.

I used to have 5.1 speakers but we've moved house the they're now a no-no (wire and clutter apparently).

I'm therefore considering getting a soundbar and also updating my AV AMP to get upscaling and HDMI capability as I plan to add Blu Ray.

Does this sound pointless.... I predominantly listen to music but miss the surround sound I used to have and am therefore thinking DSP-AX863SE would be a good bet and perhaps the YSP-600...

My main questions is whether I am I over complicating things here and I also welcome comments.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't upgrade the AV Receiver for upscaling as the scalers fitted to low-mid range AV receivers will be no better than the one in your TV or source.

Do you simply need a HDMI switch for the various sources (inputs)? As these soundbars are a compromise I wouldn't have thought that HD audio formats would be worth it, I would stick to DD5.1 / DTS ie. look for the older discontinued models that should be considerably cheaper. A friend of mine has a YSP in a bedroom and it works quite well as you're sitting/lying at 90 degrees to the screen. If you sit at an angle the 'effect' is lost and they simply sound like a speaker up front. Personally I would hook up your existing kit in a 2.1 setup and try that.

I suppose you could buy the new AVR and then sneak some extra speakers in at a later date after getting agreement from your good lady!!

A

Anonymous

I agree with the post above. Before you go down the soundbar route, consider a 2.1 which will probably be as good, or even a 5.1 with small speakers and the speaker wire concealed. You can get some decent brands of speaker in wall-friendly colours - I have Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micros inÿwhiteÿon the rear wall and they look fine. The YSPs seem to be the best of the soundbars and the 30 and 40D models have been recently reduced in price.ÿ

A

Anonymous

What about the Kef wireless surrounds? On an unrelated note - which Denon model amp do you have and how does it compare to the Rotel you are currently using?

A

Anonymous

It's an AVR2105.... so I have a Wii and Xbox 360 all going into it with Component video and optical for the audio (360) and Component and RCA for the Wii and this then goes via component into a Samsung 32" HD TV (only 1 HDMI input) and audio via RCA into the TV.

I have Sky HD which is HDMI into the Samsung and the audio on this goes into Rotel Pre/Power amps.

Maybe I should just stick with the RS6s at the expense of the 5.1. The other problem, 5.1 wise is that the seating is in an alcove with the rear wall / sides being glass so any 'rear' speakers would be a good 3 foot infront - I've given this much consideration and the hassle and compromise required to try get 5.1 would be major and I don't think it would be true 5.1 anyhow given the location of speakers - also an issue for wireless ones.

I used to have the AV Amp going into the Rotel as a source but not I don't as it goes to TV instead.

I just feel that it's all cobbled together, not excelling at anything and one big compromise.

My priority is hifi music (via CD and I also have a Roku Soundbridge into the Rotels) but I also want to get the most from the AV side too (ideally better sound and giving me more HDMI capability)

Any ideas?

A

Anonymous

If you cant practically organise 5.1 and your priority is stereo - I would go for a straight 2ch stereo setup and just listen to tv, movies etc in stereo. If you've no room for surrounds, why compromise your stereo sound by using a/v gear? Sounds like you're pretty much answered your own question here ; )

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't go down the soundbar route, with you having MA RS6's already why not buy the matching centre and sub.
It will sound much better than anything else.

It is a pity about the glass rear and side panels cause the bi polar rears are really good. They will still give a good effect due to there design if placed on the side walls.

If you phone Wilkinsons Hi Fi they do some unbeatable deals and post out as well. Yamaha main dealers and repair agents as well, so be warned they might make you an offer you can't turn down!

They did for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts