Complete novice needs cabling advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please, anybody who knows what they're talking about...

I bought a panasonic TX32-LZD80 today. I have never bought any kind cable beyond a standard scart and need advice.

I have the TV, standard virgin cable and Sony RDR-HX900 dvd recorder all hooked up using basic scart leads. I intend to get a PS3 soon and will use a WHSAV recomended HDMI with that. But am just confused about what to do for the best with the virgin and the sony. Can I do better than scart connections with this kit or is it a case of getting a better scart?

I am a little concerned about the quality of the SD images I am getting today (particularly with the football), I know the TV will probably shine with HD (when we can afford it) but wonder if more appropriate cabling might help the SD images inmprove.

Can anybody please advise?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Your Sony has a component output which should give better pictures than Scart. Not sure on your Virgin box, if it has component, use this (the green, blue and red ports as shown below):

408jvc.2.jpg

Otherwise, RGB Scart is your best bet. A better Scart cable will more than likely improve your picture (certainly did for me). Also, have a look at the football on BBC1 tomorrow - the picture on ITV is notoriously bad for football due to the quality they broadcast in.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, so it is a component lead that I need or failing that an RGB scart.

Just watched Cloverfield on DVD tonight, picture was fantastic so having second thoughts about the cabling. It appears there are a couple of QED's around £50 that review well. It is just getting my head round spending £50 on a cable that is the trouble, do you think a complete novice like me will be able to see the difference that an upgrade in cable would bring or is it just the expert viewer who could pick out the improvements?

Where would the improvements in viewing be seen, and please pardon my ignorance.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, I upgraded from a cheapo unbranded Scart cable to the QED AV41 - the increase in picture quality was dramatic, mostly in clearing up noise and improving contrast. Previous to that, I found it difficult to watch things through my PVR as the inbuilt Freeview tuner picture was so much better.

I don't know what the difference would be between this and say the much cheaper QED P2110 - best bet is to buy from somewhere which does a money back guarantee and compare the two so if you're not happy it's helping, you can get your money back.

Oh and note that if you use any component cable or a scart cable like the QED AV41, please note these cables don't transfer sound so you will need to get an appropriate cable to send this to the TV as well (usually RCA phono leads, but some TVs also have optical inputs if your source has an optical out).

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
If you want good component cables, try Van Damme. Very good quality, and not too expensive.

You can get them on this ebay shop (which I have used a few times myself)...Soundstable

(And it is nothing to do with me, I was recommended it elsewhere.)

TRENDING THREADS