comparing components at different dealers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
How is it possible to compare components at different dealers? recently I listen to the ayre AX 7e integrated amp, and the meridian G51 receiver at one dealer. they sounded more or less comparable, in the same room with the same cd players and speakers. I was also thinking of listening to the more expensive naim supernait--but that would be at a different dealer with different speakers in a different room. anyway, my room won't sound the same as either.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
theodorw:How is it possible to compare components at different dealers? recently I listen to the ayre AX 7e integrated amp, and the meridian G51 receiver at one dealer. they sounded more or less comparable, in the same room with the same cd players and speakers. I was also thinking of listening to the more expensive naim supernait--but that would be at a different dealer with different speakers in a different room. anyway, my room won't sound the same as either.

Home demo all of them

A

Anonymous

I'm in the same predicament as theodorw. Home demos are out of the question in my country. So I guess it'll just have to be a throw of the dice and hope the source, amp and speakers will work well together.

A

Anonymous

gave my thoughts on this on the other thread but id add most of us have been in the same predicament and weve survived
emotion-1.gif

in reality its the speakers that have most impact on the sound as they must since they push the air followed a long way back by the amp and then the source

remember its hard to judge the quality of an amp or cd player without speakers because you cant hear them

idc

My solution is to take some CDs with you to each demo that you have listened to extensively at home. You want a CD with loads of bass, something with loads of treble, something which gives you goosebumps, something well recorded and something badly recorded.

Have specific passages to listen to. I have mentioned a few times on the forum I listen to the opening 40seconds of Massive Attacks track 'Angel'. The opening bass tends to distort and at 29 seconds there is a brief 'meow' sound. That gives me an idea of how well the system copes with bass and its ability to retrieve detail. If the chorus of Pink Floyds 'Summer 69' gives me goosebumps, then that system is a winner as it has loads of dynamic.

By having such tester tracks you are identifying how well the system will perform with your music. Some say your memory of sound is too brief to do this. I disagree as there is either a 'miaow' sound at 29 seconds or there is not, bass distorts or it does not, I get goosebumps or I am left thinking 'that sounds a bit flat'.

A

Anonymous

I'm going to be doing a pretty big comparison later this month, as I will be buying a new set of speakers. I'm considering six or seven different models. Only way I can do this, as best as possible, is lug around my amp and CD player to each store and listen through those. Really, I think whichever speaker moves me most, and doesn't offend in some way (e.g. is too bright) will be the one I end up with. I'm going to try going in with no preconceived notions as to which speaker will sound which way, and to not over-think things. I'll bring my own music that will allow me to test bass, treble, and just how involving, detailed, and musical each speaker sounds.

This won't eliminate all variables, but should eliminate most of them. Especially when comparing two models in the same store. You are in the same room with the same electronics powering the speakers. So whichever speaker sound best is really the one to choose over the other one. The only concern after that is the room, but unless you can do an in home trial you'll never get around that.

A

Anonymous

It can be a nightmare and I have recently done likewise and had to take my CD player and cables with me, to hear amp/speaker combinations for my upgrade, in various shops.

I was expecting to do this and shortlist 2 of the favoured combo's for home dem to be sure, but as it happened I have got to the point where there is only one option that I'm excited about at the moment.

It's tricky, especially as I have yet to hear one pair of speakers that are an interesting option, but that dealer is willing to bring them to me for home demo, so may still take them up on that.

There's no hard and fast rule I guess, but I certainly agree that once you have knocked out the lesser options, if you are still not sure, then get a home demo of what's left on your 'maybe' list.

A minor point - I like Ayre kit and have the C-5xe CD, but amp-wise have you tried Moon stuff - it's awesome - could be worth hearing!

T

the record spot

one off:
gave my thoughts on this on the other thread but id add most of us have been in the same predicament and weve survived
emotion-1.gif

in reality its the speakers that have most impact on the sound as they must since they push the air followed a long way back by the amp and then the source

remember its hard to judge the quality of an amp or cd player without speakers because you cant hear them

Not at all; far from it in fact. The implication here is worry less over the other components just get the speakers right as they define the sound most of all. Couldn't be further from the truth IMO.

I've swapped amps and CDP this past year and a half and they have all had a big impact on the sound. Try swapping my current CDP for an Audio Analogue Paganini - the bass presence alone is gulf-like in the difference between the two. How about a Technics player? Or a Technics SU-V6 amp compared to my current one? Or against the lightweight (in my set-up) Marantz PM6010-KI?

This rationale that the speaker is the biggest differentiator in the sound you hear is off-course logic; the biggest impact on the sound from a speaker's perspective will be positioning in the room in the main. After that for vinyl, it's the source first and foremost, while for digital, it's the combination of source and amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts