Compact passive speakers for PC use

samlowry

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm planning to replace my ageing 2.1 PC speakers and one option is to reuse an old integrated amp I have lying around and get some small passive speakers, suitable for sitting on my desktop, either side of my monitor.

They will be for nearfield use only, and I'm not a basshead, so the (expected) modest bass will be fine.

I've been looking at the JBL Control 1, which get good reviews and are about the right size (not too deep, which is good!) but can anyone recommend some alternatives? For example, will something like the Q Acoustics 2010i be significantly better, given their larger size (and price)?

The other option is to buy some powered 2.0 speakers, e.g. the Creative T40, the Audioengine 2 or (and these are over-budget really) something like the B&W MM1 or the Ruark MR1.

Can anyone offer any comments / advice here? For example, the JBL Control 1 are approx the same price as the Creative T40, but I assume they would offer a significantly better sound?

Thanks!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Although active, you may want to look at the Nocs NS2 v2. New last week, these have gone down a storm with my customers. 7 colours, AirPlay, bluetooth, Spotify Connect, 16cm tall.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim said:
Although active, you may want to look at the Nocs NS2 v2. New last week, these have gone down a storm with my customers. 7 colours, AirPlay, bluetooth, Spotify Connect, 16cm tall.

spam5.jpg

(Check rules 10 and 12 here or pay for your advertising.)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim said:

They don't seem to be active, or have I missed something in the blurb.

The look to be powered passives.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
JoelSim said:

Seems a little harsh. I see no links to a particular shop, and upon googling they come up on Amazon first.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
chebby said:
JoelSim said:

Nevertheless as someone "in the trade" he is required to say so in his signature.

Seems a little harsh. I see no links to a particular shop, and upon googling they come up on Amazon first.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
chebby said:
JoelSim said:

Joel's Avatar is his business name and logo.

(Mention of his customers is another giveaway that he runs a business.)

He has also promoted a product he sells here, and on a couple of other threads, in the last day.

At the very least, he should declare his trade status details in his signature.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
fr0g said:
chebby said:
JoelSim said:

He has also promoted a product he sells here, and on a couple of other threads, in the last day.

I know he runs a business. But he mentioned only the product and not his site. I imagine most people upon hearing the recommendation would simply google it. And his site doesn't exactly feature...

In fact, the first time it's been linked is by yourself...(are you in business together? ;) )

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
fr0g said:
chebby said:
JoelSim said:

Sorry, didn't realise my signature had vanished. It has been reinstated.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Overdose said:
JoelSim said:

They are Active, Overdose. Blurb from Nocs below.

http://nocs.se/products/ns2-air-monitors-v2

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim said:
Overdose said:
JoelSim said:

They are Active, Overdose. Blurb from Nocs below.

http://nocs.se/products/ns2-air-monitors-v2

I see no evidence that these are true actives and the claimed 80W power output, implies powered passives with an onboard class D amp of 80W peak power.

Active speakers are usually specified with the amplification per driver and not total peak power output. The output of true active speakers is usually also stated in dB.

This may be incorrect though and the manufacturer means four individual amps of 20W peak each and that seems rather low to me, but then they have less than 3" drivers.

The blurb might say active, but it aint neccessarily so.

THIS review seems to corroborate this.

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Isn't there supposed to be some kind of rule about dealers, stealers and others not having their website address in their signature? Or is that something else that's gone by the board in the new improved soul-sold whathifi.com?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:
Isn't there supposed to be some kind of rule about dealers, stealers and others not having their website address in their signature? Or is that something else that's gone by the board in the new improved soul-sold whathifi.com?

I think the crew grabbed the first lifeboat and snuck away, unseen, a while ago.

TRENDING THREADS