Cn I use Dipoles for my rears

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi ppl, quick question, can I use dipoles for my rear surrounds? I use a 5.1 setup and my sofa is against the back wall. To my left is floor to ceiling glass and to my right is open plan. Should I keep my Kef eggs as these work or could I use Dipoles?

Thanks

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
sta99y said:
Hi ppl, quick question, can I use dipoles for my rear surrounds? I use a 5.1 setup and my sofa is against the back wall. To my left is floor to ceiling glass and to my right is open plan. Should I keep my Kef eggs as these work or could I use Dipoles? Thanks

Sta99y

Dipoles would be OK, bipoles would be better if they are to be mounted immediately above and behind you.

Dipoles are more used to either side of the listening position.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:
sta99y said:
Hi ppl, quick question, can I use dipoles for my rear surrounds? I use a 5.1 setup and my sofa is against the back wall. To my left is floor to ceiling glass and to my right is open plan. Should I keep my Kef eggs as these work or could I use Dipoles? Thanks

Sta99y

Dipoles would be OK, bipoles would be better if they are to be mounted immediately above and behind you.

David?, I will Pop a couple of pics up to show rear layout. Are some Dipoles switchable to Bipole??

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
sta99y said:
fayeanddavid said:
sta99y said:

Sta99y

David?, I will Pop a couple of pics up to show rear layout. Are some Dipoles switchable to Bipole??

Some out there are, can't advise on brands, the retailers on forums could or Mr Google.

Be cool to see your pics though

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Where did my text and pics go?? lol left surround of listening position

6b3985e7.jpg

right surround of listening position

3485ade2.jpg

all are 75db to my listening position at Zero on amp. Thanks

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the same situation as you. I have mounted the B&W DS3 Dipoles on the wall. The dispersion is incredible and its the best solution for Sofa's against walls. Ideally they should be 2 feet above your head but nothing is written in stone. I have mine about 4ft above my head and angled down slightly to compensate. I would put them on your side wall about 1 - 2 ft in from the back wall. If possible try to center your seating position between them :)

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
duaplex said:
I have the same situation as you. I have mounted the B&W DS3 Dipoles on the wall. The dispersion is incredible and its the best solution for Sofa's against walls. Ideally they should be 2 feet above your head but nothing is written in stone. I have mine about 4ft above my head and angled down slightly to compensate. I would put them on your side wall about 1 - 2 ft in from the back wall. If possible try to center your seating position between them :)

Cheers,
Where the sofa is is the back wall, my seating is where remote is on arm of sofa, the screen is bang in front of me 4m away. Sofa needs to stay as it is, are you suggesting I put Dipoles directly above sofa but say a foot or so outwards from each side of sofa?? Where you can see kef egg above sofa is where a speaker needs to be as the whole side wall is Glass as you can see. The right Kef egg is 4.8m away in dining room, do you say replace with dipoles but bring it in from dining room corner so that's it's situated above and just to right say a foot from sofa??

Thanks for your reply tho.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Is it posible to mount above the glass doors on the cove? If you can do it and have them on the side walls about 1 - 2 ft in so they face you and your head is between the null point (middle of speaker) if its not possible you can mount them on the wall behind you. I was advised to mount them behind me when i set mine up as an alternative.

You can them have them disperse the sound around you from behind in dipole mode.

Either way, the dipoles are the right move :)

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi, it cannot be mounted to the side, not enough space where coving is. Behind me could be done. Il start looking for some to match. Thanks for your replies

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thats the solution for your situation, its not a bad idea as the dipoles will fire sound in a certain direction. each speaker is different and has to be mounted accordingly. Looking at the manual for my DS3 your speakers being mounted on the wall behind you will fire away to the left and the other to the right creating the dispersion effect! so above right shoulder to the right and above left shoulder to the left.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts