Clueless Newbie - Home system-Where do I start?

hopper1

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for a complete home system, but lack of knowledge means I need help!

Looking for a TV (42") & surround sound system. I budget £1000 for the TV(LCD), but may increase, if I need a Plasma! + whatever a reasonable Surround Sound costs.

I sit about 3m form TV, but at an angle. The current telly is on a shelf and rotated towards me, I would like to put the new one on the wall! (3 year old child at large!).

I recently had the walls plastered and the TV will be dead centre of a 8m long wall (nowhere to hide cables), is there a wireless system available? Power cable and VirginCable can be routed direct through the wall from outside.

We don't use gaming consoles, but I would like the new TV to be compatible with everything else (latest technology).

I would be so appreciative of any help/ advice. This is an absolute nightmare to the uninitiated!
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Talk about choosing a tricky place to start.

Ok, if you can get your aerial cable through the wall you can get all the other cables through it too. On the outside of the building you place a metal half round protective casing over the cables and that'll prevent them sagging, getting into the sunlight (the cause of almost all damage to anything outside) the rainm what little of it gets behind the metal casing shouldn't be a problem.#

So that sorts out your cabling. I'd run your hdmi and power cables out and back in that way. Ok, next, you can get wall mounts that swing out and can angle off the wall, so when you want to watch it, just tug the screen towards you. You'll need a bit of help from your electrician to ensure that you secure you cables and probably mastick the hole that you push them through. This will make it air and water tight (maintain the integrity of your outside wall) and allow you a little slack inside, which you can use to give yourself some leeway on moving the screen around.

My only tip would be that if you're going to do all this, put in every cable to the screen that you're going to need in the first go, you don't want to have to add to it later.

I'd get your cables from Mark Grant Cables. He can make you any cable in any length you need and to suit the conditions. Explain to him what you need.

£1000 should be plenty for a screen, plasma or LCD, I have a 50inch plasma which I love. Wouldn't swap it, but I'll let someone else tell you what's the most current. I can't see why you'd need to spend more. But that's just my opinion!

The rest is up to you. Good luck with the screen. It's a fab challenge, just don't get silly and start thinking wireless. And next time, bury the cables in the wall before you plaster it, Muppet.

TRENDING THREADS