Cloud storage for FLAC library

richie60

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Do you think it's feasible to upload a FLAC library to cloud storage such as Dropbox etc and stream from that rather than mess about with a NAS? 1TB of storage I think is only £79 a year on Dropbox, cheaper even elsewhere if you shop around. The one I was looking at was pcloud.

I like the idea because I could also use a cloud player on my phone/tablet to play music through headphones when I don't want to turn the HiFi system on, eg in bed etc. Not interested in streaming mp3 or any other lossy format from the usual sites.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I use Dropbox as a backup, but you can't easily stream from it directly like it's any other regular folder on your PC. Dropbox expects you to keep the files locally and it will sync changes and deletions in your local area with your online storage area. I think they all broadly work the same way.

richie60

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
There is a workaround with Dropbox, Gdrive and OneDrive, download and install expandrive and this will map a drive letter to the cloud. With the sync folder, just set it not to sync certain folders in the settings.

That's why I looked at pcloud. They automatically map a drive letter in the software and it works a treat on Linux too. I uploaded some FLAC files to test it and they streamed back perfectly.

TRENDING THREADS