Closed Headphones around £100-£150

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking of getting some more expensive closed headphones for a while now. I'm used to cheaper Sennheiser closed back headphones like the PX200's and EH150's. I find the EH150's really good but after about 1 hour they are not comfortable. A new pair would have to last a long time, sound great and be comfortable for long listening sessions. I don't mind what they look like.

The headphones I was considering were the The Beyerdynamic DT250's, DT770 pro. Which would be best for normal listening at home use through HiFi or PC? Are the ones I mention going be produce noticeably better sound and be more comfortable overall than the cheaper Sennheisers? I guess the DT250's are better in a studio (broadcasting role) but what the difference between studio and home (hifi) headphones? Any help would be great, thanks.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I think both of those Beyerdynamics are 'reference like' sound which is to say 'flat response' or 'neutral'. Now some people love this as it tends to accentuate detail but I don't becuase it also has a tendancy to destroy bass / body and sound rather boring and not very musical. Saying that I don't like headphones with have overly pronounced bass at the expense of much else (Beats are a good example of this). My Denon's are pretty warm sounding but once you get used to it there is plenty to like but it's sure not for everyone. I made the mistake of listening to the open back Sennheiser HD800 and it made my Denon's sound muddy and disgusting by comparison but they really aren't.

If you would like a more 'normal' sounding headphone the Audio Technica ATH-M50 would be at the top of my list for the money you mention. I think they would give you a pretty decent increase in quality, if you like the presentation of course.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Check out what the 'Rock' EQ setting looks like in iTunes or search for the graph online, then apply that to the PX200. It should change the $70 sound to something that sounds like $300. I wrote a big review on that.

A

Anonymous

+1 on the Audio Technicas. Interesting note about the EQ. The general consensus on here is EQ = bad. And it ain't necessarily so as long as it isn't applied heavily. Subtle tweaks can make a significant difference.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Agree on EQ. If I can find a simple setting that works with a particular headphone, I consider myself lucky. Most of the headphones that need an EQ to sound acceptable don't match up with any of the ipod defaults for example. Using non-portable gear you probably wouldn't have that problem. Speaking of EQ and the M50, I haven't felt a need to EQ the M50 at all. And for me, the M50 not only sounds very good overall, it has the most endearing bass of anything I've ever owned. The EQ'd Philips L1 comes in a close second, the Senn HD800 is good, but at the price or anywhere near the price, the M50 is amazing.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
+1

I just came back from testing the Grado PS1000 on an Audiolab M-DAC and an Epiphany Acoustics EHP-02D and holly wow! For me unless you can spend money on something like this then the ATH-M50 is a monster bargain! It won't suit everyone so don't just rush out and buy them on our word, I still encourage a test if possible but I do know quite a few people who love the ATH-M50.

A

Anonymous

quadpatch - out of curiosity where did you manage to audition the PS1000? - any more comments on these in comparison to the headphones you own?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Yes, considering how good the PS500 is (and it's really good), the PS1000 should be audio Nirvana.

Yeah that about describes it, certainly for me anyway. I remember once you described the PS500 as being the closest thing to floorstanders and I think I shot you down in some way. Well they are supposed to be a lot like a cut down PS1000 so I finally get it. Sorry about that! They are awesome!!

nick1973 said:
quadpatch - out of curiosity where did you manage to audition the PS1000? - any more comments on these in comparison to the headphones you own?

Hey Nick, I tested the PS1000's at 'Custom Cable' in SW London, I also tested the Sennheiser HD700 / HD800 there and all on the Audiolab M-DAC which was just an amazing experience! The HD800 were amazing, they were like my Q701's detail but a bit more refine and with some actuall appreciable bass (since the Q701 has very little). The HD800 was really nice and open compared to my Denon D7000, also with better detail but couldn't match the deep bass. Generally the HD800 is nicer if you can live without that low end. I would want both. Now the Grado PS1000 was as airy and open as the HD800 but with bass that crushed the even the Denon's. It was truely amazing and seemed to suite everything I had to listen to but I was told that the Grado will fall down on anything that needs speed, like say drum and bass. I would say they are worth the price because of how well they suited music but then it is an insane price @ £1700!! I'm saving now :)

A

Anonymous

Back on track for the OP, did you buy anything?
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

You're welcome.
smiley-cool.gif
Let us know when, what and your thoughts......

A

Anonymous

Take a look at the Ultrasone HFI-580 as i currently own them, really great deep punchy bass with great mids and highs, ive never heard them but id avoid the dt770's as they have a reputation of being extremely bass heavy with recessed mids and a harsh treble.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
scottb1991 said:
ive never heard them but id avoid the dt770's as they have a reputation of being extremely bass heavy with recessed mids and a harsh treble.

I have heard the DT770 Pros and I can say that pretty much the exact opposite of what you said is true. They are anything but bass heavy, not recessed mids and certainly not harsh treble! They're not as bass shy as the AKG K550 but they're not far off either. Actually they are pretty much reference (although I don't think they're marketed as such). The Audio Technica ATH-M50 has 20 times the bass impact of the DT770 Pro and still isn't really a bass-head headphone. Perhaps you are thinking of the Audio Technica Pro700 mkII, that's the one famous for being a bass-head choice.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
quadpatch said:
I have heard the DT770 Pros and I can say that pretty much the exact opposite of what you said is true. They are anything but bass heavy, not recessed mids and certainly not harsh treble! They're not as bass shy as the AKG K550 but they're not far off either. Actually they are pretty much reference (although I don't think they're marketed as such). The Audio Technica ATH-M50 has 20 times the bass impact of the DT770 Pro and still isn't really a bass-head headphone. Perhaps you are thinking of the Audio Technica Pro700 mkII, that's the one famous for being a bass-head choice.
I don't know what DT770's you listened to but there was something seriously wrong with them. My personal DT770's are bassy, I wouldn't say bass heavy, with slightly recessed mids and I personally find the treble OK. Definitely not what one could call 'reference'.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Well the DT770's I tried were a little old, maybe not the best example of them but I think this illustrates why you need to test things for yourself before you buy. The DT770's are described as 'Studio monitors', I'm not quite sure how that differs from reference but to me it seemed to fit the bill, pretty flat response throughout. The treble was nowhere near as harsh as the AKG K550's (or the Q701's for that matter) and they are described as 'reference'.

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Quadpatch - noticed from your signature that you have a great collection of headphones - how do the v moda m80's stack up and do you use them more for travel than the rest?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Julian, I absolutely love the M80 (did you see my review of them?*). I use them 100% of the time for travel and for work at the moment. The power and quality that comes out of these tiny drivers is just amazing and the icing on the cake is how much better they get plugged in to a decent DAC/amp! I notice that you have the Fiio E17, they're really great with that but through something even better like the Yulong D100 mkII it sounds almost as fun as the Denon D7000.

I should also say that I recently tried the Audio technica ATH-M50 and they sounded as good as (maybe a tiny bit better in some ways than) the VModa M80's. Considering that they are much more comfortable I might trade my K550 in for the ATH-M50 and switch to using that at work but I would never sell the VModa. I used to have the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and for me the VModa M80 blew them away but not everyone seems to get that so some caution is advised as they are the same price and size.

* http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/vmoda-m-80-review.html

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Quadpatch for the link to the review you contributed - the v moda's do seem a great package. Must admit I have also been interested in the b&w P3's and am waiting to see what v moda m100's bring too. Was thinking of dedicated office headphone like the AT you you mention and am logging how much time I actually get to listen to music - 30 to 45 mins last week versus 10 hours commute/fly time. So I get a lot of use out of the E17 with my Bose Meio2 ear phones (very comfortable) but want better sound hence thinking of the M80's or better for travel or occasional office use......

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Made up my mind. Just ordered some Beyerdynamic DT250 80 Ohm version. Looking forward to the extra comfort and longer wearing ability over my current headphones (Sennheiser EH 150). The 250's also look built to last and I'm sure will reduce outside noise more. Not interested in style as I won't be wearing them outdoors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts