Clearer Audio Copper Line Mains Cable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
On the strength of the recent Awards Issue, I am interested in ordering the mains cable for my Onkyo TX SR875 Amp. On the cable supplied with the amp it says that it is 13 amp and the person I spoke to at Clearer Audio has said that they do a 10 amp cable. He has assured me that this will be fine for the amp.

I just wanted any feedback that this will be ok.

A

Anonymous

They seemed confident. I guess I was concerned in case it caused any long term damage. Im not that clued up on stuff like this.

A

Anonymous

Swap the fuse for a 13 amp fuse. The cable is only rated for 10amps which means at 240v it'll be designed to carry a maximum of (you guessed it 10 x 240) 2400w (watts). So if your Onkyo which is a powerful amp, is kicking out a very loud set, at full wack and drawing the maximum available from a plug socket of 13A and 240V = 3120w then it'll get a bit hot. That's all. Not likely to melt it's surrounding cable. But overheating is really the only danger you've got. If they made a higher capacity cable that would be a better move. You're amp is one of the most powerful on the market because it has so many high power amps built in. Even so, I doubt you'd ever draw more than 10A so I wouldn't worry.

A

Anonymous

You need to check what the actual rated power requirement of the amplifier is - this is printed on the back of the amplifier on a sticker somewhere => 230/240V AC 10A/2400W or something like that.

To be honest it's unlikely to be greater than 1kW I suspect, although I'd like to know if it's higher!

Note that the rated outputs may be only for a couple of channels driven at any one time as oppsosed to all 26 or whatever we're up to these days :) I'm not saying that it is, but it certainly is on some of the kit I've come across, some of it very fine kit indeed.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Problem with swapping the fuse in a Clearer Audio cable is that the warranty sticker is over the screw holes on the plug so if you open it up, it'll invalidate the warranty.

Solution: Pick the sticker off carefully?

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hello everyone,

My name is Darren Smith and I am the Managing Director of Clearer Audio.

Just to clarify, our Copper-line Power Cable (i.e., the actual cable itself) is rated at 26A not 10A. We can only fit with a maximum of a 10A fuse with the standard Wattgate 320i IEC since this is its maximum approved current rating. Therefore, if we fitted with a 13A fuse it would invalidate the approvals of the Wattgate 320i IECs. As both VoodooDoctor and Will have pointed out, there is no risk in fitting a lower rating of fuse since if an overload or fault occurs the fuse will just blow sooner rather than later. It is worth bearing in mind that if the equipment is internally fused then the fuse in the power cable is there to protect just the power cable (in which case we can fit the maximum 10A fuse regardless). If however the equipment is not internally fused, then the fuse in the power cable will be protecting both the equipment connected and the power cable (in this case it is important to fit the correct rating of fuse to protect your equipment). This is why we offer the service of being able to specify the correct rating of fuse required for your equipment.

If you ever need to change the fuse then send the cable back to us and we will do this for you. There are a few reasons why we deal with replacement fuses: firstly, the fuses we use have been specially selected and are high performance featuring silver-plated copper end caps for improved conductivity; secondly, fuses are treated by us with CAIG DeoxIT so as to ensure the very best performance; and thirdly, after fuse replacement the power cable gets a 6 hour re-burn to help burn in the new fuse. Should you find yourself in this situation, we offer this service including return of the power cable to you free of charge. The warranty sticker is there for this reason - if you try to remove the warranty sticker it will break apart and you will not be able to get it back on again!

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Darren Smith

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stucola"]

On the strength of the recent Awards Issue, I am interested in ordering the mains cable for my Onkyo TX SR875 Amp. On the cable supplied with the amp[/quote]

Indeed it does. As with alot of audio/video components sold, you do not necessarily get the best interconnects for the product. Yes, they will do the job, but there are better quality ones out there.

That is why I was interested in obtaining the power cable.

I have it now, and am very pleased with it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Fred Scuttle"]

I. confess, yes it is indeed a Benny Hill character.
emotion-1.gif

[/quote]

Nice Teddington Studios reference, too...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fred Scuttle"]

I'm glad you like the look of yours.

[/quote]

It's certainly a substantial looking lead, but, like yourself, I have it all tucked away, out of sight.

A

Anonymous

Has anyone got the Copper Line Mains cable? have you noitices a difference? if so, in what way?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts