Class A demo

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Today it was two thirty-watt Class A integrated amps, both of noble pedigree, but representing different design traditions. The Pass Labs INT30A is pretty minimalist in terms of functions, but has massive physical presence, accentuated by the huge heatsinks on either side. The Luxman L-590AX (successor to the L-590A II) is an old school Japanese amp, with lovely dancing needles on the front and a host of functions, plus an allegedly very good phono stage. (I didn't test this and have no need for it.)

Both were playing through Franco Serblin’s Accordo standmount speakers.

Pass Labs INT30A

I think the speakers were a bit on the bright side and made the INT30A’s top end sound quite forward. Consequently violins and guitars tended to sound a bit metallic, though not at all harsh. Piano was wonderfully liquid whilst also conveying the precise hammer strokes on the strings: a wonderful impression of silky smoothness, delicacy and precision. Aside from the brightness noted above, acoustic instruments had a thoroughly natural timbre: cello was particularly fine. Also voices sounded sweet and real, with no evidence of sibilance, except on one Radiohead track. With ensemble vocals things got really exciting: partly this was the result of the INT30A’s ability to locate voices in three dimensions; partly it was the accuracy of tone, which gave each voice its own tone. Listening to ensemble work in opera, this is a real game changer: the voices belong to people with distinct characters. Dynamics were also excellent. All round a beautiful amp: detailed, liquid, exciting.

The remote is nicely built and the volume control works in pleasingly tiny increments.

Luxman L-590AX

So the INT30A set the bar very high. To say the L-590AX was a disappointment would be overstating things; I’d be very happy in a world in which the L-590AX was the best amp you could buy. The two amps are tuned a bit differently. The L-590AX has a mellower tone and more prominent bass. Compared with the hyper-precise INT30A, the L-590AX seemed to have a tiny bit of mushiness around the notes. Piano had slightly less attack. Having said that, the dynamics of the L-590AX seemed better to me. A fraction more oomph. And the overall impression of a lovely liquid sound and natural tone was very similar to the INT30A.

I love the look of these Japanese amps, and the build quality is excellent. However, the milling of the front panel controls on the L-590AX is very sharp, which I don’t like so much. I like my metal smooth. (Accuphase amps are exemplary in this respect.)

Both amps also sounded great playing at low volumes, which is a trait of Class A and a huge plus in my book.

Conclusion? Based on this demo I’d pick the Pass Labs INT30A, though the differences between them were dwarfed by the Class A family resemblances. Both are wonderful amps, and I’d be happy with either.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Nice review Matt, cheers!

Will either of these make it to the short list?

Just out of interest (as you’ve been auditioning amps lately), have you auditioned either the Perreaux Audiant 80i or ATC SIA 2-150 integrated amplifiers, I have first hand reports that both of these amps are exceptional amps.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's great to get your feedback and by the sound of it, the AMS35i might fall (sonically) somewhere between those 2 amps.

As to the speakers that were used......not a clue, as I've never heard of them.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Great write up Matt, thanks.

Would you say that was your best experience so far?

Does the Luxman have tone controls? if so, were you able to have a twiddle to adjust it to your taste?

Also, was heat an issue with either of these amps?

Mac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
12Designs said:
Nice review Matt, cheers!

Will either of these make it to the short list?

Just out of interest (as you’ve been auditioning amps lately), have you auditioned either the Perreaux Audiant 80i or ATC SIA 2-150 integrated amplifiers, I have first hand reports that both of these amps are exceptional amps.

Thanks, 12Designs!

Both amps are shortlistable, though the Pass Labs is ahead.

I'm afraid I haven't heard the Perreaux, though not out of lack of interest. I've also heard good things about the ATC amps, but they're quite hard to find. The furthest I got with ATC was auditioning the SCM-20 ASLT actives with the CA-2 preamp. It wasn't a pleasant experience: terribly dry and not to my taste at all.

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Franco Serblin was the founder and presiding genius of Sonus Faber until they parted company in 2006. The Accordo looks very like an SF: the beautiful craftsmanship and soft curves of a Cremonese violin, with a hint of bling. Sadly he died two months ago.

franco-serblin-accordo-k_4292.jpg

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Great write up Matt, thanks.

Would you say that was your best experience so far?

Does the Luxman have tone controls? if so, were you able to have a twiddle to adjust it to your taste?

Also, was heat an issue with either of these amps?

Mac

Cheers, Mac.

As an overall experience, I'd rank it second to an Accuphase and Harbeth combo that I heard somewhere ... Though I think the Pass Labs and Luxman amps may beat the E350, it's just the Serblin speakers weren't to my taste. They were too small to generate unforced bass and didn't have the wonderful airy mid-range of the Harbeths.

The Luxman has the same range of controls as you get with an Accuphase: tone, loudness etc. I didn't do any fiddling, as I didn't really feel it was necessary. Also, as I mentioned in my report, the control knobs have unpleasantly sharp edges. They don't invite you to twiddle.

I did check both amps for heat. The Luxman was pretty warm, but not hot. The Pass Labs was slightly cooler. Neither was remotely as hot as I've heard the MF AMS35i is.

Tomorrow morning it's the new Devialet range, with Harbeths. Should be interesting.

Matt

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
the build quality is excellent. However, the milling of the front panel controls on the L-590AX is very sharp, which I don’t like so much. I like my metal smooth. (Accuphase amps are exemplary in this respect.)

Interesting that you should comment on that. It was something that I'd noticed and been a little put off by because my dad has a Luxman amp from the 70's and although the knobs are very similar, the old Luxman is better finished in that it has no sharp edges and the switcehs and knobs feel a little more solid than the current amps.

I've only listened to the 590II briefly with B&W 805D. Stunning clarity and realism, although the track was a jazz quartet, so wasn't exactly challenging but it was very impressive. I try to avoid listening to the class A Accuphases and Luxmans because they are above my budget, but there are some 2nd hand 590s floating around for the equivalent of around 2500-3500 pounds.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:

Franco Serblin was the founder and presiding genius of Sonus Faber until they parted company in 2006. The Accordo looks very like an SF: the beautiful craftsmanship and soft curves of a Cremonese violin, with a hint of bling. Sadly he died two months ago.

franco-serblin-accordo-k_4292.jpg

Sad to hear of the passing of Franco, I'm very out of touch these days and hadn't heard.

I was a big fan of his speakers, particularly the earlier, less extreme models, the Electa Amator was always a favourite of mine, superb looks and performance at a not too outrageous price, around £2k in the mid 90s.

I sold a customer of mine a pair of Extremas with ARC amplification, they were used in a smallish room in an expensive west London townhouse, still one of the nicest systems I have ever heard in a real home, the bass control was just fabulous and so 'musical' I could listen to them for hours.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Today I was due to demo the new Devialet range, but it hasn’t arrived in the UK yet, so instead I listened to the ‘old’ model, the D-Premier. (It feels odd to use the word ‘old’ of a product that’s so innovative, but after three years the D-Premier is being replaced by the 240, and as was reported in another thread here, two lower-priced models, the 110 and 170 are being introduced. There are also plans for a 240W slave monoblock.)

The source was a Copland CDA825, and the speakers were the lovely Harbeth Super HL5s, which I’ve heard a couple of times before.

I came into the demo with fairly low expectations. (Obviously I should have read the reviews first! Or perhaps not.) After all this is a hybrid design where the grunt is supplied by a digital amp. And it looks like a piece of high-end bling. Surely not serious audio equipment?

I actually find it rather hard to describe the sonic character of the D-Premier, but here goes. The levels of detail it retrieves are simply awesome. I mean ‘awesome’ literally; I was left feeling a sense of wonderment. At the same time, it has the totally liquid and non-granular feel of a Class A amp. The tonality seems to me completely natural and uncoloured. Again like a good Class A the D-Premier has an amazing delicacy of presentation. It separates instruments in a way I haven't heard before. The dynamics are also exceptional. It seems to pick up minute changes in vocal volume and emphasis. The soundstage is also exemplary: you can almost reach out and touch the music.

Oh and the remote control is just a delight: exceptionally well made and silky smooth to operate.

As I said, I wasn’t expecting to like this amp. I had myself down as a pure Class A man. But now I’ll be at the front of the queue to demo the new models when they eventually reach the UK.

The 170 is the model I’m most interested in. It’s priced at EUR6990. When you think that it contains a DAC, network streaming, and DSP, with a commitment to future soft- and firmware upgrades, that’s actually not silly money.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Another fine write up Matt, thanks.

So is the D-Premier the leader so far? Are KJ selling the older models off?... I notice they don't have an exdemo or used section on their website.

Mac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Another fine write up Matt, thanks.

So is the D-Premier the leader so far? Are KJ selling the older models off?... I notice they don't have an exdemo or used section on their website.

Mac

Thanks, Mac.

I'd certainly put the D-Premier ahead of the Luxman. Its transparency is just amazing. I can imagine some people might think the sound is a bit cool, even clinical, compared to warmer-sounding amps. It'd be interesting to demo the D-Premier alongside the Pass Labs INT30A. I suspect the D-Premier would win.

I imagine KJ will be selling off their demo D-Premier. I wouldn't go for it because, unlike the new models, it doesn't have an RJ45 socket. I know part of the rationale of Devialet is the (reputedly outstanding) wireless, but I prefer using a wired connection where possible.

Cheers,

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. Never underestimate the effect you get with a really well matched system....and that includes the source. It sounds like the system you heard was very well put together, and may show that the Harbeths work for you.

I think what I'm saying, is pick the amp that suits the speakers / source that you'll end up with.....and the Accuphase and 35i are still in the ring. :shifty:

FWIW. I've heard good things about Devialet.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IMO. Never underestimate the effect you get with a really well matched system....and that includes the source. It sounds like the system you heard was very well put together, and may show that the Harbeths work for you.

I think what I'm saying, is pick the amp that suits the speakers / source that you'll end up with.....and the Accuphase and 35i are still in the ring. :shifty:

FWIW. I've heard good things about Devialet.

You may be right about the Harbeths. I've heard them in four different systems, and each time they've been magical. This time though the magic was, well, spellbinding.

FWIW I don't think the CDP, excellent though it no doubt is, brought much to the party. I say that because the Devialet was taking care of DAC duties, so the CDP was just being used as a transport.

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
FWIW I don't think the CDP, excellent though it no doubt is, brought much to the party. I say that because the Devialet was taking care of DAC duties, so the CDP was just being used as a transport.

Matt

By source, I was really referring to the excellence of the Dac in the D-Premier (and the fact that the CDP made a good transport).....in a system of that quality, the Source can make the difference between it being truly excellent, rather than simply very good.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
By source, I was really referring to the excellence of the Dac in the D-Premier (and the fact that the CDP made a good transport).....in a system of that quality, the Source can make the difference between it being truly excellent, rather than simply very good.

Yes, I see I misinterpreted you.

One advantage of the Devialet is that the (evidently very good) internal DAC is in the same box as the streamer, and so both are governed by a single clock. It's playing the same game as the Naim Superuniti and Linn DSM range, only with far superior amplification, IMO.

Matt

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello Matt

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your auditions. Hopefully you'll get to try the AMS 35i - I managed to listen to it for a short while in the dealer's showroom as it drove one of Dali's higher-end speakers and the sound was very impressive. Effortless, detailed and silky smooth.

Hi Mac - my Harbeth 30.1s have arrived. Not sure how to send a PM on this forum so I sent one via PFM. Have you received it?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Hello Matt Glad to hear that you're enjoying your auditions. Hopefully you'll get to try the AMS 35i - I managed to listen to it for a short while in the dealer's showroom as it drove one of Dali's higher-end speakers and the sound was very impressive. Effortless, detailed and silky smooth. Hi Mac - my Harbeth 30.1s have arrived. Not sure how to send a PM on this forum so I sent one via PFM. Have you received it?

Hi Singslinger,

Good news... haven't been on PFM for a while, will check it out now.

Believe Matt has a demo with the 35I on Friday... I'll be away for a week, so will have to wait for any results of this particular journey.

Mac

PM replied Singslinger

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Hello Matt Glad to hear that you're enjoying your auditions. Hopefully you'll get to try the AMS 35i - I managed to listen to it for a short while in the dealer's showroom as it drove one of Dali's higher-end speakers and the sound was very impressive. Effortless, detailed and silky smooth. Hi Mac - my Harbeth 30.1s have arrived. Not sure how to send a PM on this forum so I sent one via PFM. Have you received it?

Hi Singslinger,

the auditions are going well, thanks. Lots to enjoy and ponder. As Mac writes, I have the AMS35i demo tomorrow. After that I'm down to a shortlist. I think I'll re-demo the shortlisted amps before I finally pull the trigger.

Matt

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Singslinger said:

Hi Singslinger,

the auditions are going well, thanks. Lots to enjoy and ponder. As Mac writes, I have the AMS35i demo tomorrow. After that I'm down to a shortlist. I think I'll re-demo the shortlisted amps before I finally pull the trigger.

Matt

A really sensible idea Matt and the offer still stands for a revisit to the E350, if you don't manage to hear the E560.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts