Clarification on BT MCU please

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Managed to get a 5A BT MCU off ebay last night, and have been searching through the forums since trying to collate the various posts on how to get best use out of it (once it arrives). There's a few posts, in separate threads, that either contradict each other, or are left unanswered to some degree. So, a few questions if I may...

- Do they run hot ie do they need good ventilation on all sides?

- I understand the 5A fuse can be replaced with a 13A fuse without too much worry - is this correct?

- If the fuse is replaced, I just need to make sure the total current of all components connected is less than 13A? (And current can be calculated by dividing the power consumption figure in the manual by 230(V) eg Onkyo 876 = 870/230 =  3.8A)

- Correct config would be to plug MCU into the mains socket, then Tacima 929 into the MCU? Or does the Tacima become somewhat redundant and any gang/way extension lead could be used?

Thanks in advance... 

A

Anonymous

Hi, as I have done several posts on this I might be able to help you.

They run slightly warm, I have fixed my two onto the back wall
above my Tacima 929 (on wall) which they are both plugged into.
Ventilation then isn't a problem.

With regards to the Tacima I would plug that into the Mains and then the unit into it. This is because some feel they is a slight drop in the reactive speed of supply using a Tacima, but with the feed coming from it to the Unit it shouldn't apply anyway as it has 2 Mains Capacitors built in which deal with spikes and drops.
13A fuses all round and a 20A Breaker in the consumer unit. That should react quicker to a short anyway.
The Unit has built in protection so will cut out and reset itself on a consistently high loading before blowing the fuse. It appears you have bought the 125VA version. They are also made in 250 & 500VA models. That should work with your AV amp OK, which has I think a max 10A loading.

Personally I would continue using the Tacima as you will have other stuff to plug into it. Would plug in order down the bus bar items with the highest current loading so they get the best draw.

Hope that helps.