Chord power amp or integrated?

ksattic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a pair of Spendor D7 speakers (yet to arrive) and am still pondering which amplifier to buy. I have narrowed it down to two:

- Chord SPM 1050 power-amp (200W per channel)

- Chord CPM 2650 integrated (120W per channel)

If I chose the power amp, I would have to pair with my Chordette Prime pre-amp until my budget allows for the matching pre-amp. I tried this combination in my local dealer and it sounded surprisingly good. The power amp better matches the maximum power handling of the speakers (which are also 200W per channel).

If I chose the integrated, I wouldn't need to save up for a pre-amp later. The power output is lower but I noticed that the dynamic headroom is 180W per channel, which I think should be more than enough.

Thoughts?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I added an integrated stereo amp and the control over my speakers is head and shoulders over that of my avr.Sorry i can't be of more help.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
ksattic said:
I just bought a pair of Spendor D7 speakers (yet to arrive) and am still pondering which amplifier to buy. I have narrowed it down to two:

- Chord SPM 1050 power-amp (200W per channel)

- Chord CPM 2650 integrated (120W per channel)

If I chose the power amp, I would have to pair with my Chordette Prime pre-amp until my budget allows for the matching pre-amp. I tried this combination in my local dealer and it sounded surprisingly good. The power amp better matches the maximum power handling of the speakers (which are also 200W per channel).

If I chose the integrated, I wouldn't need to save up for a pre-amp later. The power output is lower but I noticed that the dynamic headroom is 180W per channel, which I think should be more than enough.

Thoughts?

Do you have a chance to demo them? Could you take your preamp along to a local Chord dealer? How big is your room, and how hard will you be driving the Spendors? They should be easy to drive (90dB), so the 120W integrated ought to be ample.

Questions, questions ...

Matt

ksattic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
Do you have a chance to demo them? Could you take your preamp along to a local Chord dealer? How big is your room, and how hard will you be driving the Spendors? They should be easy to drive (90dB), so the 120W integrated ought to be ample.

My local dealer only has a Chord 1200E power amp which is even more powerful than the 1050 I am considering, but I had an opportunity to try that with my pre-amp and it sounded surprisingly good - though bear in mind this was with a different speaker (Spendor A9) and in a larger room. My room at home is small.

I am leaning towards the Chord integrated amp - I too think that 120W is enough power, and its peak power handling of 180W is probably more than enough to cover me when I have the volume up (and since I have people next door, that shouldn't be too loud). Unfortunately they don't have any demo units of the integrated amp in the shop. I live in the USA so UK gear is a lot harder to find in stock.

Didn't realise that the D7 is more sensitive than my current speaker (Spendor A6) so that's something to factor in too.

TRENDING THREADS