Choosing speakers: B&W 686 or The Focal Chorus 700V?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've demoed both these speakers (B&W's with Rotel RA-04; Focal's with NAD 325BEE), and they were both fantastic. I'll hopefully have enough to get the amp as well. Only problem is I don't know which (speaker and amp combo) to choose! They were demoed at different shops: I compared the B&W's to MA BR2's, which they killed IMO), and just listened to the Focal's on their own. Both setup's sound very clear to me, detailed, neutral, just enough bass for me. Both speakers presented an amazing soundstage, Boards of Canada sounded unbelievable. These were the first demo's I've done, as I said, I'm not sure... My current setup is: Kef Cresta 1 speakers Cambridge Audio A5 amp Project Debut Phono 1 record player Shuttle PC for CD and mp3 playback. All this resides in a small 4x5m basement, with a low ceiling. The speakers sit on the floor (on partington toppers), but I want to budget stands in with this new upgrade. Anyone want to chime in with experiences/suggestions?

A

Anonymous

i am interested in the 686's too. i heard them recently and thought they were superb.they killed the BR2's alright!. What power does the nad have? my only concern about the 686's is they might be tricky to drive with their low sensitivity.I have to say though that i have yet to hear a nad amp that is anything less than powerful. Did you find the 686's were driven ok by the rotel? someone else on this forum heard that combo and thought that the rotel did not have enough power to drive them properly.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Fraziel"]someone else on this forum heard that combo and thought that the rotel did not
have enough power to drive them properly.[/quote]

That is the reason I normally go for Beefy amp! Even 91db and 8ohms speakers would still sound better when give them with a big does of current drive....Dynamic swing made dramatic listening experience.

A

Anonymous

I've saved a bit of money by getting an RA-01 from ebay for just shy of £100. Do you think this amp will have enough to power the 686's? When I demoed these speakers the amp was a RA-04, which has the same 40W rating, and the sound was loud without appearing to distort to my ears anyway.

Cheers
Jon

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="monks1975"]I've saved a bit of money by getting an RA-01 from ebay for just shy of £100.

Do you think this amp will have enough to power the 686's? When I demoed these speakers the amp was a RA-04, which has the same 40W rating, and the sound was loud without appearing to distort to my ears anyway. Cheers Jon[/quote]

The RA-04 is just a newer version of the RA-01 so I think it will not be a problem. 100 pounds ? That's not a lot of money for a very good amplifier.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Cypher"][quote user="monks1975"]I've saved a bit of money by getting an RA-01 from ebay for just shy of £100.

Do you think this amp will have enough to power the 686's? When I demoed these speakers the amp was a RA-04, which has the same 40W rating, and the sound was loud without appearing to distort to my ears anyway. Cheers Jon[/quote]

The RA-04 isÿjust a newer version of the RA-01 so I think it will not beÿa problem. 100 pounds ?ÿThat's not a lot of money forÿa very good amplifier.ÿ

ÿ
[/quote]

Thanks! I was hoping it was a good deal. Owner says it is near to mint, and amps don't usually degrade much do they. At one point yesterday ebay uk had an RA-03 for £130 with 10 minutes to go, but it ended at £340!

I think I'll go for the B&W's

Cheers
Jon

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Personally id go for some B&W 602 S2's or 602 S3's off Ebay as well.

I have auditioned the 686's and the 685's and dont think either of them matched the depth and clarity of the 602's.

Dont get me wrong, the 686's and the 685's were great speakers, but just thought that the 602's brought more clarity and punch in the mid range and bass than the new B&W's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts