Choosing a new Bible is so complicated ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I wanted to replace a badly worn out paperback Bible that is too thick and falling apart. Get something quite nice with a decent leather cover and gold edges but not so expensive i’d be frightened to pick it up and read.

Easy right? Oh boy!

Translations available ... King James, New King James (NKJV), NASB, NIV, ESV, NRSV, RSV, REB, NEB ... and on and on.

Publishers ... Oxford, Cambridge, Allan, Crossway, Zondervan, Harper Collins, Schuyler ... again ... lots and lots.

Printers ... Royal Jongbloed in Netherlands, L.E.G.O in Italy, others in Belarus, China, USA, Korea and Scotland.

Calfskin, ‘calf split’, French Moroccan, goat skin, highland goat skin, ‘bonded leather’, artificial leather ...

Font size, font darkness, line separation, paragraph format, dual column format, reference, text only or study versions, with apocrypha, or without, matched lines, paper thickness (in GSM), India paper or bible paper, paper opacity, paper ‘bleed through’ (if notes are written), font styles (too many to recount), edge lined construction, paste down liners, edge sewn covers, Smyth sewn binding, size of leather ‘yapp’, wide-margin, journalling, large print, gilded edges, ‘art gilded’ edges, head and tail bands, colour and quantity and width of marker ribbons ...

It was worse than cameras or hi-fi in my experience. It seems that the world of Bible ownership has been taken over by obsessive collectors. The permutations of all the above just make my head hurt!

It has never taken me two months to choose a book before (ok it ended up being two) and involve learning a whole new vocabulary to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 188533

The following activity is expressly disallowed within our community:
-----
-----
-----
G.R.A.P.E.S. (guns, religion, abortion, politics, economics, sexuality) subject matter discussion is prohibited, except where the topics are expressly related to core subject coverage and is initiated by staff. The moderation team reserves the right to remove any such posts and take action as warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts