choosing a computer speaker (no amp pls) SWANS vs AUDIOENGINE

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
:)

Hi guys, 1st post here!

anyway, I have been looking for a new speaker for computer.

don't want any amp or anything to save the hassle.

I am putting it in my college dorm, mostly music (big kanye west fan ;) ) and also movies and tv series occasionally.

I mainly use spotify for my music.

Anyway, I have my eyes on a few speakers

Audioengine a2

Swans M200mkii

Swans M50w

they all cost very similar in my country,

M200iii is around 1/3 more expensive than mkii, and I am not sure if worth it.

anyway, which one will you choose for my needs? Size is no issue.

I know that a2 is small, but that is not a considering point in my purchase.

Thanks guys :D

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The Logitech Z623 2.1 Speaker System is very good for both music and movies. Clicky

The Logitech speakers can be plugged straight into your computers headphone output but you will get much better sound quality use one of these Behringer DACs to conect the speakers to the computer via a USB socket. Clicky

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
The Logitech Z623 2.1 Speaker System is very good for both music and movies. Clicky

The Logitech speakers can be plugged straight into your computers headphone output but you will get much better sound quality use one of these Behringer DACs to conect the speakers to the computer via a USB socket. Clicky

how about from the 3 above?

Surely audioengine/ swans is better than the logeitch?

also the logeitch you recommend is only around 30pounds less expensive than my choices above

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I haven't heard any of the speakers that you've mentioned.

The Logitech speakers are exellent value for money though. Don't be put off by their cheap plastic looks because the sound quality is very good for the price. Thanks to the subwoofer they can produce very deep bass too which you'll appreciate if you're a Kanye West fan.

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Sorry, I haven't heard any of the speakers that you've mentioned.

The Logitech speakers are exellent value for money though. Don't be put off by their cheap plastic looks because the sound quality is very good for the price. Thanks to the subwoofer they can produce very deep bass too which you'll appreciate if you're a Kanye West fan.

thanks, will keep that in mind ;)

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Hugo,

Have you thought about studio monitors?

They may be an alternative especially if it's nearfield listening.

Prices start very reasonable and go all the way up.

Don't know what country you're in, but if you look at guitar and music stores, these places generally have demo units available.

Type in "active speakers club" on the forum search and that may give you some ideas

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I havent heard them but these Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers have been getting exellent reviews in the magazines. They're a bit more expensive at £182 but could also be worth your consideration. Clicky

Like the Logitech speakers these can be connected to your computers headphone socket. But they will sound much better if you use one of these Behringer DACs to conect them to the computer via a USB socket. Clicky

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
what is the difference of those studio monitor and the speakers I mentioned above?

complete nood in speaker, just know bit about headphones

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
actually I already have a DAC/amp

the mighty audinst HUD MX-1 :D

I don't game much though (except for fifa), so not sure if a gaming set is for me

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you are in europe check out the following sites.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html?sid=6f6878ef0d5437f6db913bc780c31e1f

http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/;pgid=U29AGLqM85JSR0USh_2O4iFQ0000wqx0jt3O;sid=XXCrLqo0i2WuLuVIm-QgyqT317EAoz7k8Bo=

In each case search for Pro audio - Studio equipment - Nearfield active monitors.

The big advantage is that most have a fully active configuration, much preferred in this type of configuration. You will need to chose between smaller models with a bit of refinement or bigger models with a bigger bass capability, plenty of choice, take a look.

A word of warning, some of the less expensive models, particularly those with usb digital inputs, are actually just 'powered passives', like the Audio Engine, not the same thing at all.

If you are feeling brave and are prepared to take 'a bit of a punt' look at the Samson Rubicon 6a on the Thoman site, being run out at about half 'street' price, great value for under £200. Review here http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul05/articles/samsonrudicon.htm

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
hong kong

the price is not quite the same here

swans m50w around 160pounds

swans m200mkii around140pounds

Audioengine a2 around 130pounds

and for what I understand, the price, especially for swans is relatively cheap.

so I want to know if it is a bargain, and should I get those

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hugokhf said:
hong kong

the price is not quite the same here

swans m50w around 160pounds

swans m200mkii around140pounds

Audioengine a2 around 130pounds

and for what I understand, the price, especially for swans is relatively cheap.

so I want to know if it is a bargain, and should I get those

Ah, Hong Kong, a very different market. Swans (A Chinese brand despite the name) are extremely rare in the UK, not surprising that there are no comments on them.

The Audioengine A2 are conventional two way passive speakers configured with a 'master speaker', with all the input connections and a 2 x 15 watt amplifier and a totally passive 'slave' connected via a lenth of normal speaker cable.

Of its type it is a well made, well executed design but it is 'voiced' in a quite distinctive way. It is set up to produce a very full sound with an impressive level of bass, if you are used to a more neutral sound they quickly become quite annoying but on the other hand for uncritical use they are rather fun.

Try a local music shop that also sells home recording equipment. Check out a well known brand like Behringer that are available world wide, their B1030a and B1031a models may be within budget. Make sure you look at the 'a' models which have the built in amplifiers. If they offere other models, check them out on the websites listed above.

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
do you don't recommend swans? or just that you don't have enough information about it to comment about it?

actually I study in the UK, but I find electronic things in UK quite expensive (20% more, at least) therefore a bit put off by their price.

also, the a2 is quite small, will it be better for me to get a bigger speaker if size is not a huge issue?

thanks for the recommendation too, will check it out

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Hugo,

You have several Tom Lee music stores in Hong Kong. If they are the same as the ones as in Canada, they carry many different monitors and cater for all budgets.

May be worth a call at least?

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
Hugo,

You have several Tom Lee music stores in Hong Kong. If they are the same as the ones as in Canada, they carry many different monitors and cater for all budgets.

May be worth a call at least?

I think speakers (and every other things) in Tom Lee is quite overppriced.

many choices though. great call!

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
thanks guys,

I have decided to get myself a Swans M50w, as the price is so cheap it makes A2 not worth it.

thanks for the help here!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts