Cheapish (used) Amp?

Myers

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
In my dining room I have a desk PC that also acts as a music server throughout (esp.) in the lounge which has large amounts of ripped .flac on & also listen to Spotify on it - At the moment I've got an inexpensive exterior DAC running through a Cambridge Topaz 20 watt amp & a pair of JBL Control 1's on this PC system - It sounds OK & I spend a fair amount of time listening to it as I work on the PC & I'd like to change the amp to something slightly better than the Topaz & with more power, preferably to something I can get used of auction sites as I also want a new set of wheels? Any ideas please? I'm not expecting wonders from the Control 1's but I feel they can sound slightly better.

Myers

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Maybe £150ish for a used amp? I would be willing to pay more though, I only need the one line input & as the speakers are only around 3 feet away large amounts of power is not required & the Control 1'’s are only rated around 50 RMS & I don't need a remote or any fancy gizmos, I'm not really up to date about half decent budget amps of the last few years.

Edit: As an experiment last night I tried my Roksan K2 on the PC system & was surprised as to how good the little Control 1's are, I can't justify getting a K2 for the dining room but it did demonstrate the inadequacies of the Cambridge Topaz I'm using at the moment :)

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
How about a Marantz PM7001 which i have and am looking to get rid of ?

£170 including postage ?

Also have a Marantz SA7001 SA-CD player to go with it if you want to match the pair ?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Is there a way in which i can PM on this forum ?

I know selling of equipment is frowned upon on the forum (not sure why - we're all helping each other out) but a PM to the original poster would be great if it's possible.

Thank you

Myers

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
The only problem with the Marantz is I have limited room, well mainly height as it will have to go on the rack the PC, printer etc. is on & the Marantz will be very tight in the space where it will have to go right at the bottom, width & depth isn't a problem though - Looks like the Marantz is around 5” (126 mm) if the spec sheet I looked at is correct?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Why not have a look at a Teac A-H01? ... Small form factor, Class D, 60W into 4 ohm (30W into 8 ohm), integrated DAC, 2 x analogue line-in, headphone and subwoofer output. Circa £200 for a new one if you look around.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts