Cheap IPod Dock - What am I missing?

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
So, I bought a budget Hifi with the Cambridge Audio iD10 dock. It sounds OK, but nowhere near as smart as with my old Arcam Alpha Plus CD player. That makes sense, the Arcam CD was top entry level, and of course the music on an Ipod has been converted, squeezed, unconverted etc and is bound to have suffered a bit. However, reading reviews online, I get the impression that many people are finding out that the Ipod is not that bad. So I am wondering.

If I change from the iD10 to, say, the Cambridge Audio iD50, do I get a better sound? Or, just like the Emperor's New Clothes, will I convince myself that having spent £100 then it has to sound better? The iD10 is not reviewed anywhere, and so nobody is telling me that it is basic, cheap, functional and sonically low-end. But as I paid £20 for it then it could be lacking something!
What can you wise gurus offer me as advice?
System is: Cambridge Audio: iD10, Azur 340ASE amplifier, S30 speakers. Arcam Alpha Plus CD

A

Anonymous

As a source, the iPod can deliver very good results. It's internal components are well matched and of good quality. But the biggest thing to effect sound quality in compressed audio files is how much they have been compressed to get onto the iPod in the first place. The higher the bit rate (ie the lower the compression) the better the iPod will sound, all things being equal.

So, I would advise that you consider this first, before moving on to the other components that you have in the chain. That said, I would have thought that the more expensive dock will give you a marginal improvement, but not as big as using files that are less compressed. IMHO of course.

£20 for an iPod dock I would suggest is at the low end of what you could reasonably expect to pay and end up with a component that could be termed hi-fi - although it is probably perfectly serviceable for other listening requirements.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Bertos, a useful reminder, and something that I had already considered. Compression and sampling rates are critical factors, and if I re-rip my CD library then it is something that I can address. However, once the music file hits the interface to the Ipod dock, then the key factor is keeping that information safe and delivering it to the input to the amplifier. I have read the reviews that talk about about the use of shielding, phasing etc in expensive docks, and this implies that there are power interference/stability problems that could exist. My local Hifi shop, I will spare them their blushes, just told me which ones had fully functional remore controls......I will say no more.

A

Anonymous

I have an iD10 and could not fault it especially when I only paid £14.95 for it. Although I also have a good quality CA cable for it rather than the cheap cable provided.

However maybe like you I was looking to upgrade but felt that the iD50 may not offer much of a difference although I didn't test it. I actually took the different path of a digital dock (unfortunately not available from CA) so went with Onkyo NDS-1 (£130) and a DACMagic (£220).

About 25 times the cost of the iD10 with a good optical cable but makes a significant difference especially with lossless files from my Touch.

However I say 'unfortunately not available from CA' as the Onkyo has developed a fault after two weeks and I am currently awaiting a replacement. So back with the iD10 at the moment. Disappointing to say the least having spent so much and now using the original £14.95 device.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I do not think that I can justify the added expense of a digital dock solution, hence the interest in comparing standard Ipod docks. However, thanks for taking the time to reply.

A

Anonymous

Njb if you have a cd player or your amp will take a digital feed you could get the Onkyo Nds and there is no need for the extra Dac. I just use a Russ Andrews GQ-24cable via my project head box 2 and phono cables.

A

Anonymous

NJB:I do not think that I can justify the added expense of a digital dock solution, hence the interest in comparing standard Ipod docks. However, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Actually this is what I was suggesting. From my experience I dont think the extra expense of going fully digital is worth it.

A

Anonymous

I just got the nad ipd2 dock and its brilliant :) Only downside is that it doesnt have its on preamp so I need to turn up the volume on the amp abit more to get the same level.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts