Cheap floorstanders that dont sound muddy

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
For a second system where the main source is spotify premium>Vdac2 into a yamaha AS500, the room is large enough for floorstanders, I like the weight and scale they bring over stanmounts but dont want cabinet clourations which is hard task for cheap floorstands! My thought are Tannoy v4, do these really do the business for such cheap floorstanders or do they fall into the same trap of muddyness . Seeing as the AS500 is meant to be sharp sounding I dont want thin sounding bright , bass light bookshelves . . Real customer user comments on the V4 would be helpful , I dont trust WHF reviews ( from experience)

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
GMK said:
I have the V4's. They never sound muddy, even at silly volumes. Thoroughly recommended

thanks for reply, they are shown as going as low as 32Hz , that more than most floorstanders , even more expensive ones, there must be a trade off in the quality of the bass though over the qauntity,

I know its a different class but how do they stack up againt your more high end ruark floorstanders, that should be interesting !

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
The Ruark's sound positively harsh and shouty in comparison. They're hard to position and partner with kit, but beautiful sounding when done right. In comparison the V4's have an effortless, large scale, room filling, dynamic sound. They're not the last word in vocals if that's what you're after, but in isolation you'd never find them lacking. They're easy to listen to for hours on end yet still provide bags of taut bass and fantastic detail. As long as you can keep them 60cm from the rear wall I don't hesitate to recommended them. They're simply too big for my current room and that's the only reason I'm exploring various stand mounters currently

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
GMK said:
The Ruark's sound positively harsh and shouty in comparison. They're hard to position and partner with kit, but beautiful sounding when done right. In comparison the V4's have an effortless, large scale, room filling, dynamic sound. They're not the last word in vocals if that's what you're after, but in isolation you'd never find them lacking. They're easy to listen to for hours on end yet still provide bags of taut bass and fantastic detail. As long as you can keep them 60cm from the rear wall I don't hesitate to recommended them. They're simply too big for my current room and that's the only reason I'm exploring various stand mounters currently

Nice

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If you can put your hand on a used ( good condition) Monitor Audio BR5 or BX5! They sound vividly, good soudstage, and a punch like a kick of a mule!

Another plus is the synergy between MA and Yamaha!

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
If you can put your hand on a used ( good condition) Monitor Audio BR5 or BX5! They sound vividly, good soudstage, and a punch like a kick of a mule!

Another plus is the synergy between MA and Yamaha!

Ah! I do have the MA BX6 on my main CD based system in the living room and they sound fantastic with the Marantz PM7001, they did sound a little to cool and tight at first but have loosened up now

These new speakers are to listen to spotify through a MF dac via the yamaha, and was actualy considering going used, but the tannoys are going for a bargain price , ultimate pinpoint detail and accurccy is not needed here as its spotify afer all, but a big bouncy sound with clarity and not too revealing of spotifiy's , limits to make it tiring, From the descriptions the tannoys have the kind of sound I like, big wall of dynamic sound thats not too analtyical

Fred24

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
To Op,

I am currently thinking along the same line as you. V4. I have the AS500. However my reason is because the combination of MA Bx2 is a fiasco IMO. I regret and regret it. Very bright going on the harsh. The bass is almost to none existence despite several effort. I finally conclude that both AS500 and MA Bx 2 are slighlty bright sounding equipment. hence i will go for a warmish souding speaker to tame it.

I am going for the V4 as well. heard some positive comment about it.

all the best.

Fred

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Fred24 said:
To Op,

I am currently thinking along the same line as you. V4. I have the AS500. However my reason is because the combination of MA Bx2 is a fiasco IMO. I regret and regret it. Very bright going on the harsh. The bass is almost to none existence despite several effort. I finally conclude that both AS500 and MA Bx 2 are slighlty bright sounding equipment. hence i will go for a warmish souding speaker to tame it.

all the best.

Fred

That's funny, my first demo when i was on the market to buy my amp/speakers my first demo was the Yamaha AS500 with MA RX6, and i didn't end first music!!! The Sound that combo produced was painfull!!! So harsh, and the AS500 won the amp of the year in WHF mag!

Then the MA's were connected to a NAD 326 BEE and it was heaven!!!! Almouts bought that combo, but then the Brio R came along and you can gess the rest of the history... ;)

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Fred24 said:
To Op,

all the best.

Fred

That's funny, my first demo when i was on the market to buy my amp/speakers my first demo was the Yamaha AS500 with MA RX6, and i didn't end first music!!! The Sound that combo produced was painfull!!! So harsh, and the AS500 won the amp of the year in WHF mag!

Then the MA's were connected to a NAD 326 BEE and it was heaven!!!! Almouts bought that combo, but then the Brio R came along and you can gess the rest of the history... ;)

I did experiment with the yamaha and put it in place of the marantz pm7001 , the combination of MA BX6 and yamaha As500 made the gold metal tweeter in the BX6 sound a little too over etched but was offeset by the BX6 meaty bass , but it also sounded very crisp with cleanly recorded music. However the marantz Pm7001 sounded better overall with a richer mid and slighty softer top end. I would assme the tannoys might fare better with the yamaha though

my first floorstander I bought in the mid ninties where the AE109 which I foolishly sold, although i prefer the MA BX6 for its scale , those things were amazing for the low price ,the V4 will have to be damn good to better those , or any other speaker under £500 for that matter, one of AE's best VFM moments

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Fred24 said:
To Op,

all the best.

Fred

I am not surprised , although the BX range is good it needs smoother sounding electronics , I would imagine you might have to adjust the bass control upward a little to add more warmth with that combo, do try the V4 !

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
bit the bullet and got the V4 for the spare room system. I own 3 sets of speakers now :oops:

anyone contemplating buying these , just do it, they are very very good for £249, I was concered that they were physicaly a little lightweight for such big boxes, but that gets blown away when you listen to them , big heavyweight tight bass, refined treble, really pleased, infact I tried them in my main system and they give the BX6 a real scare, they are almost as good IMO and less than half the cost. there really is very very little in it. TBH some aspects of the tannoys presentation is actually better :O

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Johnno2 said:
I own 3 sets of speakers now :oops:

I'm currently at 12 or 13, I forget :rofl:

I'm glad you're enjoying them. They really are good, regardless of the price. They should start to sound even better when run in too

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Johnno2 said:
...they are shown as going as low as 32Hz , that more than most floorstanders , even more expensive ones, there must be a trade off in the quality of the bass though over the qauntity...

The Tannoy website says that the V4 speakers are -6dB at 32Hz. The important part to note here is the '-6dB' part which basically says that the speakers will be only be playing at half the volume by the time they get down to 32Hz.

I'm only guessing here but my esitmate is that they would probably be about -1 or -2dB at around 40-50Hz. This is a pretty typical frequency responce for speakers of their size and would probably be all the bass that you need for most music.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Johnno2 said:
...they are shown as going as low as 32Hz , that more than most floorstanders , even more expensive ones, there must be a trade off in the quality of the bass though over the qauntity...

The Tannoy website says that the V4 speakers are -6dB at 32Hz. The important part to note here is the '-6dB' part which basically says that the speakers will be only be playing at half the volume by the time they get down to 32Hz.

I'm only guessing here but my esitmate is that they would probably be about -1 or -2dB at around 40-50Hz. This is a pretty typical frequency responce for speakers of their size and would probably be all the bass that you need for most music.

thats a very good point, but they still seem to get lower than all floorstanders at this price range and lower than some a few classess above, B&W 684 are 35HZ at -6db . now I am not saying the cheaper tannoy V4 has a better bass than the B&W 684

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Johnno2 said:
steve_1979 said:
Johnno2 said:

thats a very good point, but they still seem to get lower than all floorstanders at this price range and lower than some a few classess above, B&W 684 are 35HZ at -6db . now I am not saying the cheaper tannoy V4 has a better bass than the B&W 684

Just guessing again here but maybe Tannoy have tuned the enclosure and port on the V4 to boost the bass at a slightly lower frequency than the port that's used the B&W 684.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I would imagine the 684 sounding more punchy than the v4 with a warmer mid Not sure how tannoy have tuned the v4 , but they sure know how to get the best sound from a budjet box, infact if you do the knucle knock test on the tannoys they sound a bit hollow compared to my BX6 , but yet they manage to avoid sounding boxy, I have now put my BX6 back in my main system and they do have a fuller sound the the v4, which are now being used as intended on the streaming system. and they work beautifully in the room, I was afraid of them souding coloured and blaoated, but not so, The treble is very clean , but not as smooth as I thought, some rough recordings stll sound rough and harsh but good records are sweet and lucid.. however they are not run in yet

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts