change of speakers for something smaller

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
the record spot:Downsizing speakers should not be a problem; many standmounts handle bass better and image more effectively than floorstanders. Unless you've got a very good floorstander of course, but even then, it'd be an interesting comparison.And while it's the theme of the hifi section of the forum this weekend, when you get into active speakers, it's a different ballgame entirely when the size of the speaker utterly belies the dimension of the resulting sound you hear.

I realise a good standmount of modest proportions can sound truly amazing with the right amp and produce all the deep bass you need, but there is a size and weight to the sound of a large speaker that cannot be reproduced with a small speaker even with a sub.

Some people like the small standmount sound, others prefer the large ballsy speaker sound.

T

the record spot

Yeah, true, but it's when you get that sound from a small active that you begin to question what you thought you held as truth before. Suddenly large and ballsy can be achieved from something small and dinky, as it were.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
the record spot:Yeah, true, but it's when you get that sound from a small active that you begin to question what you thought you held as truth before. Suddenly large and ballsy can be achieved from something small and dinky, as it were.

Yes i know what you mean, active certainly seem's like the way to go, especially with the growth of Dac's with onboard volume control.

A

Anonymous

I have got the dynaudios on home dem at the moment and they are shaping up quite nicely, i have had them playing now for 7 hours and some of my favorite tracks sound amazing and some not so good. its a completly different sound than im used to and it certainaly does'nt lack in bass. but i can't stop thinking about the db1i's i have tried to fall in love with the dyn's as they have a great build quality and are also available in wife friendly piano black but there is just something lacking compared to my monitor audio's and its not in the bass department, they seem muffled compared to my MA's and the vocals seem more laid back where as the instruments seem to thrust forward and drown out the vocals (very hard to describe). I will pack it all away tonight and swap them over for the db1i's tomorrow, fingers crossed these will hit the spot!, if not i will book a demo to listen to some ATC's at the weekend,

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I look forward to your impressions.

I'm also considering different speakers. Aesthetically I'd love to go for something small and attractive with the DB1s as the leading candidate, depending on how much space they need from the wall behind them.

In terms of sound and placement I suspect I'd love the ATC SCM11s, but they're pretty big and ugly. I'm avoiding actually listening for the time being in the hope that I can postpone this bout of upgradeitis, so I'll try to do it vicariously by following this thread

A

Anonymous

I have just fired up the pmc db1i's and its a no brainer for me, they are simply amazing, great detail great bass and superb imaging in my room. the whole system just sings...

just what i've been searching for.

now for the partington super dreadnoughts and i'm done!
emotion-19.gif

A

Anonymous

i listen to a wide variety of music dire straights/eagles/hendrix/jamiroquai/lenny kravitz to r&b soul/dance/swing and new chart music,

my room is approx 12ft x 15ft

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
l the MA rx6's just have to much depth with lose control imo thought you might of tried the rx1's but with that budget you had to look better wow they look great and must sound unreal could only dream of such a set-up.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
THESTIG08:
i listen to a wide variety of music dire straights/eagles/hendrix/jamiroquai/lenny kravitz to r&b soul/dance/swing and new chart music,

my room is approx 12ft x 15ft

Cheers. Just trying to gage potential bass response as I listen to a fair amount of electronic stuff, but as I'm not such a bass fiend and my room is smaller than yours, it really sounds like I need to audition some DB1is.

A

Anonymous

i was very impressed with the db1i's and would recommend a demo to anyone, they are simply amazing little boxes. i will get some updated photo's on line soon.

A

Anonymous

mon audio rx6's and a sub? take it you like your bass,lol? will take a bit of getting used to having a standmount. The PMC's are awesome speakers and if i ever decide to upgrade will be my next speakers. As you obviously like the monitor audio sound, what about the Mon audio gold reference stand mounts? Should be easy enough to drive and have good weight for a standmount.They are fantastic speakers.

TRENDING THREADS