Change of pitch

Wardio

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if someone could please tell me what is causing the music I hear to invariably rise in pitch when a track comes to it's end. It's as if it "turns up" at the end. I hear it on a variety of players, ALWAYS on two types of portable players and less frequently on main cd player and turntable. Is it the quality of recording or could it be my equipment?

Wardio

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Hah! That's one theory then k-o, but this is a distinct shift and I now listen for it, whether or not the earth moves for me...

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not the equipment. CD players are crystal controlled. The only way to vary the pitch on playback is to alter the frequency of the master clock. It's a bit like saying a quartz watch gains time as it approaches midnight.

You are hearing this effect on different players... all I can say with 100% certainty is that it's not the players :)

That leaves either the recordings (and they are meant to be that way), or as mentioned it's something in the way you perceive the sound.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Most recordings fade down at the end of a track unless they are live recordings , it maybe that the frequency response alters as the track fades out and you might be very sensitive to pitch changes .

Try this test to see how good your pitch perception is .

http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/

You might have better hearing than you realise :)

Wardio

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Mooly & Electro. Oddly enough Electro, I was given a special tone test when I began training as a Special Operator (military equivalent of GCHQ Cheltenham) with the Royal Signals back in the 60's. I got all the tests right which they said they'd never seen before, so perhaps I was very sensitive to changes in frequency. Ideal for the job then, but in fact I've lost hearing ability since then!

Wardio

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Mooly said:
Definitely not the equipment. CD players are crystal controlled. The only way to vary the pitch on playback is to alter the frequency of the master clock. It's a bit like saying a quartz watch gains time as it approaches midnight.

You are hearing this effect on different players... all I can say with 100% certainty is that it's not the players :)

That leaves either the recordings (and they are meant to be that way), or as mentioned it's something in the way you perceive the sound.

Are ALL cd players xtal controlled Mooly? Even ancient ones like my 80's Technics SL-PJ26A? It was part of a collection of separate units. Probably junk by todays standards!

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Quote,

"Are ALL cd players xtal controlled Mooly? Even ancient ones like my 80's Technics SL-PJ26A? It was part of a collection of separate units. Probably junk by todays standards!"

They certainly are.

That said, there are some players available that do actually have a manual "pitch control" to allow the user to shift pitch by a few percent. These are aimed at DJ's, recording studios, musicians etc but even these have a crystal controlled master oscillator.

SteveR750

John Duncan said:
Wardio said:
SteveR750 said:
Can you come and set the intonation of my guitars then please!! Slight variations in pitch drive me nuts!

Thought you could get a special tuning tool for that Steve
www.buzzfeiten.com/

What, use a guitar tuner?? My ears are more accurate!

Gibson's are a bit too trad for the buzzfeiten bridge, though the one I have tried with it was pretty good. To be fair though, my les paul is absolutely spot on, and holds it tuning pretty well even when trying to copy monster Kossof type bends on the G string. The Yamaha SG2000 that I once owned was disappointing given its pedigree, straight through neck - the intonation and tuning stability were no better than the £200 Vintage LP copy that I have got, though this is a fantastically good VFM guitar.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts