MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed lately that more and more new releases are including the CD Text facility. It seems quite odd than in the heyday of CD very few, if any discs included it.

Now when the CD is on the decline CD Text is becoming more commonly used. Especially in the last couple of years. Who else here has a CD Text enabled CD Player?

A

Anderson

Back in the day I had a Marantz CD player that did the text thing but out of a few hundred CDs only a couple did text, this was about 12 years ago.

If I had to take a guess at why it's more prevalent now it's because physical media sales are on the decline.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Anderson said:
Back in the day I had a Marantz CD player that did the text thing but out of a few hundred CDs only a couple did text, this was about 12 years ago.

If I had to take a guess at why it's more prevalent now it's because physical media sales are on the decline.

That's what I don't get though. If physical media is on the decline, why start including text now? Especially when no one has CD Text players.

So many of my CDs have it now that I'd really struggle to remember them all and tell you how many.

A

Anderson

Well in the age of fully tagged digital downloads and streaming they wouldn't want CD to seem archaic now would they, that's my take.

iMark

My Sony MD-DX3 CD/Minidisc deck (stored in the attic) that I bought in 2000 shows CD Text in the window. It can even copy titles from the CD to a Minidisc.

I remember that I used to quite annoyed if CD Text wasn't available on a new CD because having the text saved me a lot of time when I titled minidisc copies for my portable player.

A few years later (around 2005) this became less of issue when I got my first iPod Nano and iTunes took care of looking up titles in the Gracenote database. I used to make copies of CDs from the iTunes library for use in the car because I could leave the CDs at home and the CDRs had CD Text on them. I remember it became a feature in Toast for burning CDs.

It seems a bit odd that all of a sudden more record companies are supporting CD Text now fewer players support CD Text, probably because the record companies couldn't be arsed to use it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
My 4 year old car's base model CD player can read CD text, although it has a limit on the number of characters it can display from any of the fields, beyond a certain length it'll just show "no info" but on the next track may be fine.

Most of my recent purchases seem to contain CD text, older releases don't seem to. It often helps with ripping as well, dBpoweramp will use CD text for tagging if it can't find a CD in the online databases, I've had that a couple of times when I've bought something very new that hasn't found its way into the databases yet.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Marantz CD6000KI has the text function, which back in day, I enjoyed when employed. Sadly with a NAS, Network player and Spotify all available my CDP hardly gets a look in anymore. If I have to physically load some media to play, it's vinyl... ;-)

SteveR750

Never mind text, how about a consistent file naming protocol?

The amount of fiddling around renaming files so that the J River database is consistent is unbelievable. You might expect compilation albums to confuse things, but not brand new released CDs!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts