CD Player Upgrade: MF A3.2 to ????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,

This is a follow on from my previous post regarding upgrading my headphone amp. I got the impression that perhaps the next upgrade should in fact be to the CD deck, not the headphone amp....

Current system is:

Headphones: Grado RS-1

Headphone Amp: MF X-CAN V3 with X-PSU

CD: MF A3.2

Stereo Amp: MF A5

Speakers: Triangle Zerius

I'm focusing on the hadphone set-up at present, but obviously the whole system would benefit from a new CD player.

I'm looking to get the most out of my new RS-1s and clearly the rest of the system doesn't match them at present.

Any advice on new CD deck (or any other component) would be very much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Very nice system :) Difficult to significantly improve your CDP massively without spending big bucks, i would have thought. The A5 would improve things but I didn't think there was that much difference overall if my memory serves me correctly. The a5.5 has had glowing reviews but is pricey!(not heard this one). Other than those two obvious contenders I'd suggest the Primare cd31 or the D30.2 (one avail on ebay right now) both stunning and detailed but less fleet of foot than the MF pair. The only other one I can thnk of that I heard recently is the Roksan Caspian M series cdp which gives a highly detailed and crisp sound not dissimilar to the MF (though less expensive). Anyhow all of these are top notch and worth considering. Hope this helps!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice JAXON.

To be honest I don't mind spending a little bit more (A3.2 is £1000 after all). Anything up to circa £2500 first hand is ok I guess. In all likelihood I'll pick up the one I decide on 2nd hand (after demoing of course) so will look to part with £1500 or so.

Do you reckon the CD player is the weak link (in the headphone set-up don't forget - speakers probably weakest link in main set-up)?

A

Anonymous

Hmmmm. Nice budget to play with. Don't know no where near enough about the Cdps at that price. If it was me I'd be demoing the likes of Bryston cd-1, Leema Antilla etc. Thaiman et al will be able to help you i'm sure....

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
MF A3.2 is more like a X-ray V1 (or MF A3) model while MF 3.5 is more like a MF A5 model. So your cd player although is very good, it has been up date many time now.

£1,500, 2nd hand will get you a nice Resolution Audio Opus 21, Densen 400XS, Sugden Masterclass CD, GamuT CD1 MK2, Carin Fog 3 etc...the list goes on.

Oh and my stello is pretty good too. I could help you narrow it down if you tell me the type of music you do like the most.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Thaiman. I mostly listen to various flavours of rock music; Beatles and Stones through to Arcade Fire and Interpol. However, I also listen to a fair amount of more vocal orientated stuff such as Neko Case.

It may also be worth pointing out that I've come to prefer equipment that lends itself to a truly enjoyable listening experience even at the expense of some accuracy. E.g. went for the RS-1s due to warmer sound over some other headphones with more transparency.

Hope that makes sense...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Sugden masterclass has full body sound but go towards relaxed mellowosity rather than the sharply defined hyper-detail of some up-sample players, rare as hen teeth 2nd hand.
The Opus 21 has plenty of er..resolution! didn't have enough authority for me though but that doesn't mean it wouldn't hit your spot .
Densen 400 XS has everything a great cdp could have, again, very rare 2nd hand as owner seem to keep hold of them until disintegrated.
My old audionet ART V2 also a great spinner (cheaper than £1500 too, 2nd hand)being analog sounding with bags of details. I think that is the one to go for. or the cheapest way is to get an A5 cdp! It sound spectacular with matching amp which you already own. The rest of cash (should be around £700) could go towards new pair of speakers in near future.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the breakdown. I've had a quick look around and could probably pick up the Sugden for around £1350 and the Audionet for Around £1100. Given these rough prices which would be your pick? Or an A5 for £700...although this doesn't strike me as a big enough step up in quality....

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Audionet Art V2 sound really good with rock music and I believe it will be a proper upgrade. The going price is £1000 :)

A5 does sound very different than A3.2! It isn't as bright, better soundstage and has more details, for the price it is a bargain. They are both very good machine but personally I would prefer Audionet's turn tables's like sound.

However I sold my old ART V2 and bought a Stello DAC which is a corker of a digital source.

A

Anonymous

Sugden cd 21SE?? Saw this at Audio Works in Cheshire and have heard good things said about it. Actually that place is full of high end gear ( i was only collecting a Music Works IEC mains cable (groaaaan) that they make (audio works - music works, didn't make the connection DOH!). Anyway in one room I was surrounded by the scarletti transport (which i nearly stood on), Lots of Accuphase gear, MIT cable worth thousands and clearaudio champion level2 turntable. The guy (Larry) was a true gent and showed me around, before I paid for my cable, and left! Next time I go there I'll demo the sugden and clear audio and if i'm feeling brave ask for a sneek listen to the Scarletti.

EDIT: sorry forgot you were going to go ex dem/2nd hand Masterclass ( i should read more carefully!). The SE is 1600 new if you decide brand new.

A

Anonymous

I'm sure it is (see EDIT). Just an option if he wanted to go brand new that's all ;-)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the input guys.

I managed to demo the Masterclass and the A5 CD (couldn't track down the ART unfortunately). Was really impressed by the A5 compared to the A3.2; I found it makes for much easier listening, but with bags more details (quite surprised considering the £500 price difference).

The masterclass, however, was fantastic. Loved the warmth and timing. They say it's not as transparent as some, but imho that isn't too much of an issue.

I'm now in the final stages of purchasing a 2nd hand unit for £1350 that was upgraded (by Sugden) a couple of years ago.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Result. Later on you can upgrade the Sugden DAC to TDA 1541 double crown which should take sound preformance to another level, I am glad you found what you are looking for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts