cd player choice

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
looking for a view on which would be the better choice.

A marantz cd6003 new or a Marantz SA7003 ex-demo. Not familiar with the sa7003. Can be got for the same money.

Cheers.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Get a dac instead, much more flexible and futureproof than a CD player. CD players are more prone to error and jitter than standalone dacs. For the money, get a dacmagic or rdac.

T

the record spot

For the CD player, the SA7003 wouldn't be vastly different, but would, thanks to its SACD reading capabilities, be my preference. Nice player by all accounts.

For the DAC, a quick caveat around the DACMagic; I - and others here and elsewhere - have found it rather good for connectivity options, but less so for sound replay. I found it cold, clinical and uninvolving and this was tested with a variety of options including the gear in my signature below. It was "okay", but the addition of the Spitfire II was more of an improvement and delivered the clarity that the DACMagic had but also the life that it missed. Music has dynamic verve, it's not harsh and cold sounding and if you happen to have a Sony BDP-S370, you'll find it works incredibly well when partnered together.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
csq2:

Get a dac instead, much more flexible and futureproof than a CD player. CD players are more prone to error and jitter than standalone dacs. For the money, get a dacmagic or rdac.

Of course, without anything to actually spin your CDs, a DAC is useless

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
No real interest on sacd capabilities so no real gain with the 7003.

I already have a firestone Spitfire DAC (£180) attached to a Yamaha HD1500 giving very favourable results.

My original cd player was a Marantz cd48 now using an arcam 1 cd player which was given to me (at least 13 years old). Would like to go back to Marantz player . cd6003 was original plan but when 7003 came out was worth checking out all the same. Then changing the DAC for any future upgrade.

Never tried the Sony 370 as a source though. Always had a liking for Marantz sound. Found the Sony 370 to be a bit noisy playing dvds, never tried cds.

An amplifier was higher priority than a cd player. If the 7003 player was a big improvement it would have been worth going for. Have found Marantz and Arcam cd players to be very reliable.

Thanks

matthewpiano

Big Chris:csq2:

Of course, without anything to actually spin your CDs, a DAC is useless

...and there is no reason at all why a standalone DAC should always have less jitter. As far as I understand it, it depends on the way in which the transport and the DAC work together.

Also, bear in mind that the DAC chips in standalone DACs are generally the same chips that are used in integrated CD players.

Out of the two CD players the OP mentions I would say go for the SA7003 if it is in top condition - the ability to play SACDs is always useful. Otherwise, the 6003 is an excellent machine.

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Planning to get a demo for an amplifier (possibly Marantz demo dependent) then the cd player. If the 7003 is still avaliable at the time might get chance demo it. Not really keen to buy hifi without hearing it. But if the cd6003 to me still looking like a good way to go.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts