CD compatibilty with existing DAC Cambridge Audio

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System: Audiolab Integrated Amp 8000A, Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC 1 DAC, Cambridge Audio CD4 CD player, Kef Q1 Speakers on stands.

Problem. All above items were bought in the 90's and getting long in the tooth. The CD player has started abandoning a CD at random points and returns to the beginning. No music. You have to press the play button again to start. This is annoying and I'm guessing is a transport problem?

Although it hums a bit (only really audible on headphones or quieter passages of classical music a high volumes) I'm still more than happy with my old DAC.

Question: What modern (or second hand) CD player will be compatible with my existing DAC? I seem to recall the connection is specific? The letters BNC seem to stick in my mind?

Also given that technology has moved on is there now an entry level (or just above) CD player whose own internal DAC would be better than my old DACMAGIC 1 Cambridge DAC?

Any help gratefully received

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
james dawson:
System: Audiolab Integrated Amp 8000A, Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC 1 DAC, Cambridge Audio CD4 CD player, Kef Q1 Speakers on stands.

Problem. All above items were bought in the 90's and getting long in the tooth. The CD player has started abandoning a CD at random points and returns to the beginning. No music. You have to press the play button again to start. This is annoying and I'm guessing is a transport problem?

Although it hums a bit (only really audible on headphones or quieter passages of classical music a high volumes) I'm still more than happy with my old DAC.

Question: What modern (or second hand) CD player will be compatible with my existing DAC? I seem to recall the connection is specific? The letters BNC seem to stick in my mind?

Also given that technology has moved on is there now an entry level (or just above) CD player whose own internal DAC would be better than my old DACMAGIC 1 Cambridge DAC?

Any help gratefully received

I would think that you would get a better sound just buying a new cd player. There are plenty of budget models (Pioneer PJ-6?, CA 540, 640, 650, Denon DCD-700AE, Marantz CD6002, along with loads of others from the likes of NAD) around the £250 - £350 mark. If you were to use lossless files from a computer rather than a cd, I would say stick with your DAC but it sounds like you play cd only.

As for the BNC cable - I think that is a connection for a coaxial cable. I would expect you could get a BNC to RCA coaxial cable so compatibility would not be a problem.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails: I would expect you could get a BNC to RCA coaxial cable so compatibility would not be a problem.

Or use one of these, which I would be very surprised if Richer Sounds didn't sell for just this purpose...

TRENDING THREADS