CD/Amp/Speakers for around 2k, what should I demo?

Boardio

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I am considering treating myself to a new hifi for my 30th/before marriage. I currently own a Nad C320 amp, Roksan Kandy Cd and Kef cresta 2 speakers all of which are about 10 years old. I'm considering selling these to put towards a new system. I currently only listen to CDs and haven't delved into the world of digital music yet, but realise I might need to keep an option open for that if CDs go out of fashion (probably already are).

I know I need to go and listen to all the equipment myself, but I was hoping to get some advice as to what to try out. Ideally I'd like the amp and cd player to be matching.

My current lists include Cyrus 6, Arcam, Audiolab and Musical Fidelity (not sure which models) and I look of the Tannoy Dc6TSe speakers.

As a starting point how is that? Am I missing anything?

Many thanks

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I would say you approach is 'the old way'. If I was buying today I would go for a computer ( or hard drive or nas), a streamer (choose on functionality, user interface and looks) and active speakers (spend most here), this way you can get a compact system, with excellent ease of use and high sound quality.

you do not need all these boxes!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd seriously think about keeping your CD. I don't think any modern CDP will offer anything over it.

Live had an older and current Kandy CDP, and there's nothing in it. I only changed because the old one went kaput.

Perhaps you can consider active speakers. The AVI ADM 9 (£1250 or £1400). You get everything including DAC, preamp and power amps. They are stand mounts. Dynaudio Xeo 3/5 offer the option of wireless.

If you keep your CDP and £2k remains your budget for amp and speakers. I'd definitely be looking at assigning the bigger portion to speakers. Maybe find the speakers that suit you and then take advice on the amp perhaps even contacting the speaker manufacturer for advice.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Adding on from Richard and Winterracers comments, there is normally a positive wife approval factor the less boxes you have.

From my experience of owning AVI ADM 9T active speakers, for over a year, I would wholly recommend the current uprated models the RS and RSS. If I were you I would also retain the current cd player, you bought well and if it is still working ok then stay with it as a CDP.

You have a good budget to get really good quality modern equipment. Best of luck and welcome to the Forum.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Forgetting all the obligatory AVI spamming for the moment, both your amp and CD player are fine. I'd be looking at changing the speakers alone - Neat, Harbeth and, if you have the room, Magnepan spring to mind.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
12Designs said:
If you are getting married I would consider getting a decent set of cans

Ahmen!

I would also support the suggestions of keeping your CD player and going 'active' with some form of streaming solution, be it computer or dedicated streamer. A laptop as a dedicated media center or Sonos connect with NAS for example.

Move your old kit along on some auction site to return some reddies for buying more music. :)

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Forgetting all the obligatory AVI spamming for the moment, both your amp and CD player are fine. I'd be looking at changing the speakers alone - Neat, Harbeth and, if you have the room, Magnepan spring to mind.

Grow up.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Boardio said:
Hi all, I am considering treating myself to a new hifi for my 30th/before marriage.

My current lists include Cyrus 6, Arcam, Audiolab and Musical Fidelity (not sure which models) and I look of the Tannoy Dc6TSe speakers.

For an Audiolab/floorstander combo how about the 8200CDQ paired with the ADAM ARTist 6 suggested by AlmaataKZ?

I'd also mirror those suggesting the AVI ADM9RSS, keeping your Roksan Kandy for CD playback.

Both these options are well within budget, once you've sold your existing kit, and meet your requirement of CD playback whilst also providing future streaming options (thanks to the digital inputs).

Alternatively, you could keep your CDP and amplifier and change your speakers (as suggested above) to the Aurousal Vivide costing around £700 last time I checked.

If they meet the objective of improving the sound you're left with over £1300 to spend on new music, live concerts, fine dining, maybe even a weekend away in Paris.

Good luck with the search and Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, congrats, mate, long life and happiness to the both of you.

Just come back from a long session with a mate, listening to Neat floorstanders (my suggestion), Dynaudio Excite x32 and x16s, plus Totem Sttafs. First impression: go for floorstanders if you can. The x16s weren't bad, but the scale and depth of the floorstanders left them for dead, particularly for classical stuff, jazz (ugh) and rock. I really liked the Neats - Elites- but, tell you what, the Dyns weren't a country mile off. Those x32s are a bit of a bargy, in my opinion, and should go with your NAD well. They do like a bit of space, mind.

Biggest surprise were the Sttafs. Heard them before, but, oh my, did they labour with the classical (Telarc Orff) and the Nyro. Rest of the gear was Naim, by the way, and I have to say only the likelihood of retribution stopped me buying the CD player. PP, think you bought one, and it's a real bargain.

Anyway, so have a think about floorstanders, they do add a lot.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Boardio said:
Hi all,

I am considering treating myself to a new hifi for my 30th/before marriage. I currently own a Nad C320 amp, Roksan Kandy Cd and Kef cresta 2 speakers all of which are about 10 years old. I'm considering selling these to put towards a new system. I currently only listen to CDs and haven't delved into the world of digital music yet, but realise I might need to keep an option open for that if CDs go out of fashion (probably already are).

I know I need to go and listen to all the equipment myself, but I was hoping to get some advice as to what to try out. Ideally I'd like the amp and cd player to be matching.

As a starting point how is that? Am I missing anything?

Many thanks

Yes, that's a good starting point. You may want to consider keeping the CDP though (up to you really) and dedicating the entire budget to amp and speakers. You also should consider speakers other than just the Tannoy. I've generally enjoyed Musical Fidelity/Monitor Audio Combos.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Boardio

if you like the look of the Tannoy DC6Tse, you could save a little bit of cash and try the non SE versions, which would leave you £1450 from your budget. Adding another £200 to your budget will allow you to look at the Audiolab 8200CDQ CD player/pre-amp, which can then be plugged directly into the 8200P power amplifier. This Audiolab combination is a very strong one, and will also survive you a speaker upgrade later on down the line. Should you wish to take that route or find yourself in a smaller or larger room and needing to change.

If you want to stick with the DC6Tse's, you could try them with the Pioneer A70 amplifier (which has a few digital inputs as well as analogue), into which you can digitally plug a Pioneer PD10 CD player. If you wish to take the streaming route at a later date, you can add a Pioneer N30 streamer, or a Sonos Connect.

Alternatively, it has been mentioned you could keep your CD player, so you could look at the Dynaudio Xeo3 active wireless speakers. You get a small transmitter into which you can plug 3-4 components, which is then sent wirelessly to the speakers. The only cables at the speaker end is a mains cable for each to power the inbuilt amplification.

Exoticsounds

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
If your CD player digital out, then you can just keep it and pair it with a dac. (If not you can get a suitable CD or BlueRay player for around £100 with digital out).

DAC + Power Amp Combos: Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and Rotel RB1552 Power Amp about £1050, Audiolab M-DAC and Audiolab 8200P Power Amp about £1250 or Musical Fidelity M1 SDAC and Musical Fidelity M1 PWR about £1299

Speakers: Tannoy Revolution DC6TSE, Tannoy Revolution DC6, Monitor Audio Silver RX6, Epos Epic 5 or Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 6

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Exoticsounds said:
If your CD player digital out, then you can just keep it and pair it with a dac. (If not you can get a suitable CD or BlueRay player for around £100 with digital out).

DAC + Power Amp Combos: Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and Rotel RB1552 Power Amp about £1050, Audiolab M-DAC and Audiolab 8200P Power Amp about £1250 or Musical Fidelity M1 SDAC and Musical Fidelity M1 PWR about £1299

Speakers: Tannoy Revolution DC6TSE, Tannoy Revolution DC6, Monitor Audio Silver RX6, Epos Epic 5 or Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 6

I'd love to try this combo:

Musical Fidelity M1 SDAC and Musical Fidelity M1 PWR about £1299

+

Monitor Audio RX6 £750

Very flexible and just £50 over the OP's budget at retail. So I suspect the combo could be acquired new within budget.

Boardio

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have decided the best way forward for me is to keep the CDP and just get amp and speakers. I still prefer the idea of having an amp rather than just active speakers I'm afriad.

I demoed both the Cyrus 8DAC and the Musical Fideleity M1 (DAC, Clic and Power) with B&W CM8s and I much prefered the MF out of the two. So I'm currently considering that as my number 1 choice, but will try and demo some more of the suggestions above.

Thanks again

gasolin

http://www.whathifi.com/review/denon-ceol-rcd-n7

http://www.whathifi.com/review/m-cr603

http://www.whathifi.com/review/kef-ls50 or these big danes http://www.whathifi.com/review/dali-ikon-6

Up to the 2000$ you could buy a subwoofer,some stands or cable(mabye some music to enjoy?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts