Cassettes and blank VHS tapes on sale in new Tesco

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I was suprised to see blank cassettes and VHS tapes in our new Tesco.

Who is buying blank cassettes?

I gave away my last cassette deck (Yamaha KX 580 SE) to my brother about 8 years ago. I'd stopped using it about 2 years earlier.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I was suprised to see blank cassettes and VHS tapes in our new Tesco.

Who is buying blank cassettes?

I gave away my last cassette deck (Yamaha KX 580 SE) to my brother about 8 years ago. I'd stopped using it about 2 years earlier.

I'm not sure if any are being made any more, they will surely all be NOS? Conversely, Sony has annouced it will stop making Betamax tapes in 2016. I thought they stopped making them about 30 years ago if I'm being honest.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
there was a feature on the radio about cassettes a few weeks back, sales are going up and also being released by some artists as well as cd vinyl downloads etc

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I believe the police still use audio tapes (and VHS) on occasions, the latter when more sophisticated equipment has failed. Apparently the preferred method of visually recording detainees etc is the portable INDICO system.

Devon and Cornwall policy for 'Audio and Visual Recording of Suspects' 03rd October 2014

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
In last night's episode of this excellent series, the police interviews were recorded on a Neal cassette recorder. These were top-rated machines in the 1970s - I hope I'm not the only one who remembers them.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
marou said:
In last night's episode of this excellent series, the police interviews were recorded on a Neal cassette recorder. These were top-rated machines in the 1970s - I hope I'm not the only one who remembers them.

I watched last nights episode and noticed the cassette recorder, but I am still none the wiser who Neal are?

But at least they not unforgotten by you *smile*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
I watched last nights episode and noticed the cassette recorder, but I am still none the wiser who Neal are?

Neal Ferrograph made some v posh open-reel players (and the cassette players built into the booths in our so-called 'language laboratory' at school in the 1970s).

chebby said:
jonathanRD said:

Neal Ferrograph made some v posh open-reel players (and the cassette players built into the booths in our so-called 'language laboratory' at school in the 1970s).

Indeed they did.

Are the supermarkets trying on a new tape revival? I am going to have to drag my Sony Walkman professional out of retirement. :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Fairly common here in Japan. Mainly with people of a certain age who still have, or just prefer to use, their cassette decks and VCRs.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
recordings made on metal audio tapes sounds pretty cool and better(cleaner and more dynamic) compared to portable mp3 or flac players.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts