Cartridge break in

Paul...H

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I've just bought a Project Debut Carbon with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge.

I've heard that it takes about 50 hours playing to break in...

Is that for the cartride or stylus - so if I change the stylus for a blue - will it take another 50 hours to break in?

Thanks in advance

Paul

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Paul...H said:
Hi

I've just bought a Project Debut Carbon with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge.

I've heard that it takes about 50 hours playing to break in...

Is that for the cartride or stylus - so if I change the stylus for a blue - will it take another 50 hours to break in?

Thanks in advance

Paul

I did exactly that same stylus upgrade the last time I had a turntable.

Don't worry. It'll still sound pretty good even while it's still loosening up. 50 hours would be overstating it in my experience. More like 20, or thereabouts.

Paul...H

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for your input
chebby said:

Don't worry. It'll still sound pretty good even while it's still loosening up. 50 hours would be overstating it in my experience. More like 20, or thereabouts.

Chebby was it the stylus that loosened up (or did changing the stylus after the cartridge had been used for a while mean that it started off sounding as it should)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Paul...H said:
Thanks all for your input
chebby said:

Chebby was it the stylus that loosened up (or did changing the stylus after the cartridge had been used for a while mean that it started off sounding as it should)

Logically speaking, the (moving magnet) cartridge part itself is a bunch of fixed coils around some armatures embedded in a metal/plastic/wooden body. It has no moving parts.

So therefore it's the moving part (stylus / cantilever / magnet) that needs to loosen up over a period of time. (Especially the compliant rubber 'grommet'.)

Reverse all that for moving coil cartridges where the magnets are fixed in the body and the coils are on the end of the cantilever.

Anyway. Don't worry about it. The Blue will be an upgrade on the Red no matter how long it takes to loosen up.

I suspect you are too concerned about this (very minor) fact of life with any new electro-mechanical transducer.

Play lots of records and enjoy them. Chances are that you won't even notice the change unless you sit there and fret about it.

TRENDING THREADS