can the oppo 205

markyboy156

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
hi all

can the oppo 205 be connected to a denon 4300 using 7.1 analouge connections for the very best sound quality if not is there any other way of connecting the oppo 205 to the denon 4300 to get the very best sound quality from the oppo 205 thanks

abacus

To get the best, forget the analogue connections, just use HDMI with the Oppo set to output Bit stream and let the Denon do its work.

Alternatively, if you want the Oppo to do the Work, set it to output PCM, although I don’t think you will get Atmos in that mode.

To be honest, the 205 is a waste of money unless you have a very old receiver, so you will be better getting the 203 and then get some UHD discs with the change.

Hope this helps

Bill

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
doesn't have a 7.1 multi channel input on the back panel so the answer to your question is no.

just use the main hdmi output on the oppo into the blu-ray input on the back of your denon and enjoy high quality audio.

*music2*

If you mean Denon AVR X4300H, then yes, it will accept 7.1 analogues from Oppo 205. The whole point of buying the 205 would be to use the analogues for the superior DAC. Otherwise, Oppo 203 is more than adequate via HDMI with no perceptible difference in performance to its more expensive sibling.

Samd

macdiddy said:
doesn't have a 7.1 multi channel input on the back panel so the answer to your question is no.

just use the main hdmi output on the oppo into the blu-ray input on the back of your denon and enjoy high quality audio.

*music2*

..to connect the Oppo Main HDMI to the TV and connect the 2nd Oppo HDMI (audio only) to the Denon?

Samd

bigboss said:
No point in 2 different connections. The Denon can decode the latest audio codecs and can pass 4K signals. So you only need 1 HDMI from Oppo to Denon, and 1 from Denon to TV.

which is why I mentioned it and, I think, DavidF advocates that. See below (but I think he meant 'first' not 'second') but no probs.

With regards to picture, I would normally recommend anyone with an Oppo player to use the second HDMI output to send the picture directly to the TV, unless of course you have two screens like a TV and projector, in which case I'd recommend the 'picture only' one to the projector.

There is no "improvement" per se. That dual HDMI configuration is mainly for flexibility for those that "need" to send video directly to a display/projector (such as for 3D content), when the audio receiver doesn't support such features and you only want to send the audio signal. That's what even Oppo says. Compare and see for yourself.

Personally, I prefer my picture to bypass the receiver if possible in order to ensure the best possible picture. Does it make a difference? I have seen products affect picture quality in the past, but whether it makes a difference in general is up for debate. It might only make a very small difference, maybe one that isn't visible to the naked eye, or it might not make any difference at all - either way, with the video being sent down a HDMI cable without any audio direct to my projector, I know in MY mind that it is as pure as it is going to be.

Plus, if I change anything on the processor I don't have the on screen menu coming up on the picture.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Digital is supposed to be digital.

So if the signal going through the HDMI cable from disc to TV is completely digital, I can't see why you need to use the second HDMI to bypass the receiver unless:

1. Your receiver won't allow 4k pass through at all,

2. Your receiver won't allow pass through of the latest and greatest HDR codecs,

3. Your receiver in some way affects the picture in a way you don't like (in extremis, say all the grass looks pink or something or the motion is juddery).

The original intent of putting dual JDMI outlets on both the new UHD BDPs and long long ago on regular BDPs was to get around problems with older generation receivers that couln't handle newer video codecs, frame rates or resolutions. Nothing more.

As for the analogue audio outputs on the Oppo, it's really up to the OP to try both and see which he likes best, provided, of course, his receiver has the requisite analogue inputs.

I do wonder, however, how Atmos is supposed to work, given the 7.1 output is probably 2 dimensional and doesn't include the overhead channels.

Replicant666

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
My Marantz 8802 noticeably degrades the picture (may be faulty) so I go direct from my Oppo 105 and use the second HDMI for multi ch audio, for stereo playback I use analog outs into another input on the preamp

Samd

bigboss said:
There is no "improvement" per se. That dual HDMI configuration is mainly for flexibility for those that "need" to send video directly to a display/projector (such as for 3D content), when the audio receiver doesn't support such features and you only want to send the audio signal. That's what even Oppo says. Compare and see for yourself.

but it's quite a major task for me to get behind my kit. I would be interested to know where you got the bold bit from. The following from Oppo:

The UDP-203’s Dual HDMI connection mode ensures that you can enjoy the highest possible video quality and resolution, in addition to high bit rate audio content. Use an HDMI cable to connect the HDMI OUT (Main) output to your TV, and another HDMI cable to connect the HDMI OUT (Audio Only) output to your receiver.

Samd said:
bigboss said:

but it's quite a major task for me to get behind my kit. I would be interested to know where you got the bold bit from. The following from Oppo:

The UDP-203’s Dual HDMI connection mode ensures that you can enjoy the highest possible video quality and resolution, in addition to high bit rate audio content. Use an HDMI cable to connect the HDMI OUT (Main) output to your TV, and another HDMI cable to connect the HDMI OUT (Audio Only) output to your receiver.
Dual HDMI Outputs
The player features two HDMI outputs – an HDMI 2.0 port for connecting to the latest UHD TVs, projectors and A/V receivers, and an HDMI 1.4 audio port for connecting to older A/V receivers. Customers with newer 4K- and HDR-capable A/V receivers can use a full HDMI 2.0 signal path, while customers with older A/V receivers can have a split A/V setup.[/list]
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-udp-203-Features.aspx

Replicant666 said:
My Marantz 8802 noticeably degrades the picture (may be faulty) so I go direct from my Oppo 105 and use the second HDMI for multi ch audio, for stereo playback I use analog outs into another input on the preamp 

Make sure the Marantz is set to pass the signal through and not process the video.

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, I have the Denon X4300H and I have checked, it does not have multichannel analogue inputs. I would suggest therefore that the Oppo 203 is probably the best source for this receiver as you'll not be able to get any benefit or use from the better audio that the 205 has.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
kikiso said:
Just to clarify, I have the Denon X4300H and I have checked, it does not have multichannel analogue inputs. I would suggest therefore that the Oppo 203 is probably the best source for this receiver as you'll not be able to get any benefit or use from the better audio that the 205 has.

the 4300 does have multi channel analogue impute, can you not see them?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
here is a link to the back of the X4300H, I can only see pre-out sockets for all channels, no sign of any multi-channel analogue input only standard analogue input sockets for cd, phono, dvd etc.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4300H/EU/EN/DNTXSYultsfrsy.php

Denon and most other companies removed the multi-channel input from all but their most expensive amps when hdmi sockets started appearing a few years ago.

Series1boy, if I am wrong then show me where on the back panel you think the multi-channel input is.

*scratch_one-s_head*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts