Can older speakers be used with new AV receivers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have an old all-in-one Denon AVR F100 home cinema system and want to upgrade to an HD set-up - I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha DSP-AX763 receiver, an HD telly and a blu-ray player (not decided which yet) and have a question about my current speakers, which I don't want to replace if I can help it. They are the flat NXT type that came with the system.The wires are connected to the speakers and system by pushing the bare ends into a hole and securing them with little red and black clamps. Does anyone know if there is a way to use them with the Yamaha? Any pictures I see of new speaker cables seem to show plug-in ends of ome sort. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

You will be able to use bare wire with the Yamaha, the red and back casing on the banana sockets you see unscrews, ÿexposing a hole for the wire to be inserted into.

A

Anonymous

you can still use your old speaker but I guess it will lessens the full potential of your receiver since audio output depends also on the speakers. Thats why speakers are always evolving, to match the best receivers demand. But if your speakers sounds good when you use it in the past, I guess will not be a burden to your receiver.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The only thing to be wary about when using speakers from a system like this with an AV receiver is the possibility that the speakers may have very low impedance, which can give some amps a hard time.

But the SCAV-F100 speakers are described as '6-8ohms compatible', so you shouldn't have any problems at all, at least in electrical terms...

FazZ

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Was about to say Andrew.ÿ If the ohms are wrong it could short live everything.

I've been using my Mission collection of speakers (which EVERYONE seems to hate on here when I mention them) for over ten years now.ÿ I can't say anything bad about them, but after Mrs and I heard a few different PMC's we both knew what to aim for next.
I purchased my Mission speakers at a huge discount (via friends of friends. of friends) when they had just been released and never thought twice about it.ÿ Over the many years we have enjoyed them all, we have driven them extremely hard for parties and daily for our movie passion.

I bought them as a student, thinking far in advance of having a room big enough for them and enough amplifier muscle to drive them.ÿ I soon got into Denon AV kit and felt the combination worked really well.ÿ More than Ten years has passed, we are still with them and hopefully expecting delivery of the Denon AVC-A1HD any day this year to replace my older kit (still no ETA - whathifi.co.uk/forums/t/154011 )
I understand that manufacturers use different design methods and materials to get the best audio possible at a price that consumers can afford, but again the only difference we've noticed in quality and presents is from the PMC's.ÿ Is this. right?
For now the Mission's will have to do as we're not at the stage of purchasing any PMC's right this moment, but would they suit the Denon AVC-A1HD well?

PS.ÿ We also have been using a Rel Strata III as part of the system for about 7 years now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts