Can Anyone Explain?

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I have a pair of KEF R500s and I find that when I use the bungs (in any configuration) to tame the bass a little, it affects the treble.

I thought the ports connected to the bass drivers only and should have no impact on the treble. However, I find that when I use the the bungs they take the life and sparkle out of the top end as well as having the intended effect of reducing bass weight.

Has anyone else found this to the case?

Does anyone know why this happens or am I alone in this experience?

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
inbox4 said:
I have a pair of KEF R500s and I find that when I use the bungs (in any configuration) to tame the bass a little, it affects the treble.

I thought the ports connected to the bass drivers only and should have no impact on the treble. However, I find that when I use the the bungs they take the life and sparkle out of the top end as well as having the intended effect of reducing bass weight.

Has anyone else found this to the case?

Does anyone know why this happens or am I alone in this experience?
What size is your room how far from rear / side walls are your speakers I had a home dem of kef r700s in a room 4 x 3 meters and didnt require the bungs

Unusual! The bungs should not effect treble quality.

Did you audition these speakers before you bought them?

It is my opinion that if speakers require the use of bungs then they are the wrong speakers for the job / room. :)

A

Anonymous

I auditioned r500s in a room 3.5 x 3.5 and couldn't tame the bass.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi if I were you I would check that you havent disturbed the built in links on the back of the speakers as this could disconnect the tweeters etc have a quick look in your manual to see if they have to be fully wound in or out

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I have the speakers in a small room (2.5 x 3.5). They sound utterly fantastic with most music, I love them and wouldn't want anything else. However, with the odd recording I get a bit of boom. It's a trade off I'm happy with to enjoy such a wonderful pair of speakers on 99% of music played through them.

I just dont understand why when I have experimented with bungs they take the life out of the speakers. Bungs shouldn't effect the treble but I am convinced they do in my case.

P.S. I did hear a pair of R500s before buying them but not in my current room.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
toyota man said:
Hi if I were you I would check that you havent disturbed the built in links on the back of the speakers as this could disconnect the tweeters etc have a quick look in your manual to see if they have to be fully wound in or out

Nice suggestion. I will definately check them but I dont think this is case as the life comes back when I remove the bungs.

I'm not complaining or looking to solve a problem. I prefer the sound of the speakers with the bungs out its just a shame that 1% of music booms. Its a small price to pay and I generally put it down to the recordings.

I just dont understand why I dont like the sound of the speakers with the bungs in. Shouldn't they sound exactly the same only with less bass?

matthewpiano

Everything we hear is relative. Change one part of the frequency range and it can alter how we perceive other parts of it. It isn't the first time I've heard of bunging a port affecting the overall sound rather than just the bass. You will never get 100% of recordings to sound just right and if you are only having issues with 99% I wouldn't worry too much.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Hey there, I don't know if this sounds a tad 'thick' but do you not only consider using bungs in speakers IF they are too close to a wall ?

They are for calming the base, had no idea they could effect the treble.... different entities are they not ?

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
As you say I don't the bungs should affect the top end if you look on the net at there advertising blurb you can see a view of the speakers showing the ports etc this should give you a better idea of how they work I am going to have a quick look if i see anthing that looks like an answer I will poat it:cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Everything we hear is relative. Change one part of the frequency range and it can alter how we perceive other parts of it. It isn't the first time I've heard of bunging a port affecting the overall sound rather than just the bass. You will never get 100% of recordings to sound just right and if you are only having issues with 99% I wouldn't worry too much.

This is what I also believe is happening. IMO. Putting a bung in a port can appear to remove some of the "life" of the speaker.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

That makes sense. it's nice to have an answer - I've wondered ever since I've owned the speakers.

Thinking along the lines of your explaination, subwoofers often add atmosphere and make the top end sound better. I guess by adding bungs and reducing the bass in my speakers, the reverse is happening.

Thanks all for your comments.

I utterly love my R500, they make so much music sound live.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As mentioned, using the bungs in a speaker can/will affect more than just the bass. Change one and the other will change because of how we perceive it. If you have an amplifier with tone controls, turn the bass all the way down - then turn it all the way up - each time, the treble will change too, but you havent touched the treble control...

A bass driver is made/chosen as part of the overall speaker design, along with everything else. If the speaker has been designed to be a ported speaker, a bass driver will be built or chosen with this in mind, and likewise if the speaker is a sealed cabinet. A ported speaker will sound as it does because it is the way it has been designed to sound. If you then plug the port/ports with bungs, you're changing that intended sound. Using a bung makes the speaker behave more like a sealed speaker, but this wasn't the intention at the design stage. I doubt very much you'll find a ported speaker that will sound better when using the bungs.

The good thing about the R Series is that you're provided with a bung that can have its centre removed, effectively leaving an outer bung. This calms down the airflow, but doesn't restrict it too much, and it also doesn't change the sound of the speaker in a drastic way. I have used these outer bungs to excellent effect on my previous R300's and my current LS50's. The figures I've been given is that using the full bung (as supplied with most speakers) will reduce bass by about 6dB, which is a lot. Using just the outer bungs will reduce it by about 3dB.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue as you, but my speakers are Klipsch and my room is large and open. My speakers do not have bungs; I wish they did to tame the overpowering bass. The bass is ruining my midrange clarity and dynamics. I blame the source, which is my computer and software. Also, I blame the speaker spikes and the thick carpet which is making the speakers unstable.

My first suggestion for you is to tighten your speaker spikes and make sure your speakers are 100% stable, because that will affect the bass and overall sound.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site

I wasn’t looking for boom remedies, just thoughts on why bungs seem to effect treble - thanks for the insight matthewpiano and David@FH etc.

I would especially like to thank csq2 for your comments about speaker spikes. I have always been very vigilant about making sure spikes are set up properly and speakers are stable. However, your response got me thinking. The R500s have feet that screw on to the bottom of the speakers and spikes that then lift them up. I had the spikes set on the lowest setting but leveled and the speakers completely stable.

The feet gave the illusion of the speaker being lifted off the floor but I had the feet buried in the carpet even though the spikes were adjusted to make the speakers completely stable. Since your post I’ve heightened the spikes and the feet (as well as the speakers) are lifted above the carpet. This has had a significant impact and reduced the boom considerably.

I cant say how much I love my R500s - everyone should have a pair!

A

Anonymous

inbox4 said:

I wasn’t looking for boom remedies, just thoughts on why bungs seem to effect treble - thanks for the insight matthewpiano and David@FH etc.

I would especially like to thank csq2 for your comments about speaker spikes. I have always been very vigilant about making sure spikes are set up properly and speakers are stable. However, your response got me thinking. The R500s have feet that screw on to the bottom of the speakers and spikes that then lift them up. I had the spikes set on the lowest setting but leveled and the speakers completely stable.

The feet gave the illusion of the speaker being lifted off the floor but I had the feet buried in the carpet even though the spikes were adjusted to make the speakers completely stable. Since your post I’ve heightened the spikes and the feet (as well as the speakers) are lifted above the carpet. This has had a significant impact and reduced the boom considerably.

I cant say how much I love my R500s - everyone should have a pair!

The boom you refer to is exactly why I rejected the R500s

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts