Can a streamer be used as a pre-amp?

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi again,

As part of upgrading my system, currently using my Leema pulse as the pre-amp (I know) to my QUAD 909. To use the Leema in a second system (or sell) can I use one of these new Cambridge Streamers or something of the like as a pre-amp as it would kill two birds with one stone?

Thanks

DJ

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Stream Magic 6 v2 and the new CXN have variable outs so can be used as a pre-amp, bear in mind that there is no tone/eq controls and no analogue inputs.

As has been mentioned in other threads, it all boils down to the usability of the control app. You really need to get Richers to set one up and try the app, good luck with that by the way...!

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Quite a few devices now have the facility built-in. I've been using an Oppo 105 as pre-amp and processor successfully for some time now. Streamer and DAC built in. It's opened up the capability to play anything from anywhere. As stated, watch out for the things you lose. Analogue inputs, etc.

jmjones said:
Quite a few devices now have the facility built-in. I've been using an Oppo 105 as pre-amp and processor successfully for some time now. Streamer and DAC built in. It's opened up the capability to play anything from anywhere. As stated, watch out for the things you lose. Analogue inputs, etc.

+1 for the Oppo. I use one too for just about everything. The new Cambridge Audio CXU universal player may be on a par according to reviews, apart from the fact it doesn't yet appear to have dedicated control app.

I stream with it, play hires files from USB drives and it has replaced my Stello DAC and CD transport. Wonderful bit of kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts