Cambridge Audio Stream magic 6?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
wtbril said:
- optical input from my TV (which then can go further into my, yet to get, new 851A using the unbalanced connection);

You mean balanced?

Was a typo, balanced of course :)

wtbril said:
Didn't know about the better sound quality though?

I don't make any claims for better stereo sound quality of one or the other. In theory the SM6 should be better in very revealing systems, but I can't say that I've noticed the difference when doing quick A/Bs; they both sound great to me.

...But still convincing arguments to go for it :)

John Duncan

wtbril said:

I agree, I wouldn't want to rely on the 751BD as my streaming solution as I don't think the UI is good enough. Therefore the SM6 (or something like it) would always be on my radar.

Oh, I forgot to mention the SM6's iPhone/iPad/Android app :-D

SteveR750

Shutterstrom said:
@SteveR750, How are you controlling your Stram Magic? Is is possible that you controll it from your computer? I'm looking for a way to seek in time via an iOS/Android app and not via the computer using the Stream Magic just as a DAC.

I have a Linux NAS with UPnP/DLNA software installed, a wired connection to the streamer and an iOS device (with official app) for controlling the streamer. And with this setup it is not possible to fast forwarding (read: seek/slide in time).

I don't have a stream magic, just the dacmagic+

I am streaming J River MC from my PC, using their Andoid app as a remote, which allows a crude track position search, which ou can also do on the PC software.

A

Anonymous

"As and when it is added to the functionality for network audio playback, it should appear on USB playback too."

if succesfull solved this new features will be available by new firmware for current Magic 6 ? Or is it safer to wait for Magic 7 ? :)

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
wtbril said:

I agree, I wouldn't want to rely on the 751BD as my streaming solution as I don't think the UI is good enough. Therefore the SM6 (or something like it) would always be on my radar.

Oh, I forgot to mention the SM6's iPhone/iPad/Android app :-D

Another question which popped up.

As I've purchased the 851A (which accepts XLR input) but my 751BD has only unbalanced output, would it therefore make any sense to:

Connect the 751BD to the Magic 6 with optical and go from there XLR to the 851A? I mean, the 751BD has specific stereo output; that's there for a reason I thought?

A

Anonymous

CambridgeAudioCare said:
bh69 said:
and what about playing from USB device (hard/flashdisk) ? there is no such limitation and both gapless and rewind inside track are not possible too (?)

Only that we use the same playback system for both and it was primarily designed for network playback first and foremost. As and when it is added to the functionality for network audio playback, it should appear on USB playback too.

Regards

CA

#1 - Can you give us any estimation on what time we are talking about here?

#2 - And is this released a s a firmware upgrade or are we talking about new hardware (Stream Magic 7?)

A

Anonymous

I just bought this one but unfortunetly I found some things that made me consider returning it back to the store.

The reason why I bought this player was to listen to really HD-tracks. 24/96 and 24/192. But I just noticed that the player does not handle 24/192 flac files from ethernet cable. It does handle if but only from one of three USB ports and since I'm looking for a networkplayer this was a bit of a set back. :( The sound for 24/96 files are however really good.

I also noticed that I was unable to pause on my own added podcasts. CA however said that they will come out with a fix for this later on.

Last but not least is that I can not seek in track (slide to point in time) and this is very commin for me to use that function.

I have been looking at the Pioneer N-50 (I would like to be able to connect other sources to the player to use the DAC in it, there for not the N-30) but that player is just filled with bugs. Everything from iOS/Android device to functional buttons on player. I'm considering buying a simple networkplayer and a good DAC instead. But this is a bit sad because I really hoped that the Stream Magick 6 would be the perfect network player for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts