Cambridge Audio on its new Evo system: “I can accept the word ‘lifestyle’, but this is a proper hi-fi product”

fazalmajid

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
I would expect an integrated solution to sound better than separates of the same price. After all, what you are not paying in separate casework and power supplies plus packaging can go into better components and better matching/synergy between preamp and power stages.

Integrating the network and software side of streaming is more iffy, because most HiFi houses are not great at software, and something more generic like a RaspberryPi is more likely to be future proof to the same extent as the electronics themselves. It would be nice to have a little cubby inside an integrated amp with room for a Pi and a USB power and Ethernet jack.

The competitive product I would be most likely to compare the Evos with is the NAD M33, even if it is not yet Roon-ready.

manicm

I would expect an integrated solution to sound better than separates of the same price. After all, what you are not paying in separate casework and power supplies plus packaging can go into better components and better matching/synergy between preamp and power stages.

Integrating the network and software side of streaming is more iffy, because most HiFi houses are not great at software, and something more generic like a RaspberryPi is more likely to be future proof to the same extent as the electronics themselves. It would be nice to have a little cubby inside an integrated amp with room for a Pi and a USB power and Ethernet jack.

The competitive product I would be most likely to compare the Evos with is the NAD M33, even if it is not yet Roon-ready.

The M33 is much more expensive though - even than the Evo 150.

I also think it's a shame they won't explore Class D further in bigger integrated designs - they can seperate the internal components better while providing more power.

I personally would like to see the successors to the CX amplifiers utilise Class D Hypex amplification.

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
The just-add-speakers streaming system is a burgeoning hi-fi category, and Cambridge has recently arrived in it with its Evo 75 and Evo 150 players...

Cambridge Audio on its new Evo system: “I can accept the word ‘lifestyle’, but this is a proper hi-fi product” : Read more
If you really don't want to spend time listening to separate equipment then I dare say its ok.
But there's no upgrade path other than a multi-box full of similar maybe ok components, reminds me of those 1970s chuck everything in a four legged wooden box, that most people chucked out.

manicm

If you really don't want to spend time listening to separate equipment then I dare say its ok.
But there's no upgrade path other than a multi-box full of similar maybe ok components, reminds me of those 1970s chuck everything in a four legged wooden box, that most people chucked out.

I cannot live with a large box count anymore - my Arcam Solo Mini spoiled me. I still want good sound though. To put things into perspective my then top dog Heos sound bar still serves its purpose perfectly functionally, Spotify, Tidal etc still works after 3.5 years. So when people talk about obsolescence, the truth is always in the middle.

And it's often exaggerated. To put another thing into perspective - and I am being a bit facetious here - the cheapest Linn upgrade will probably be the cost of an Evo 75.

Henri

Jun 24, 2020
Visit site
My M33 continues to astound me - now Roon Ready as of May.
Expensive? - hell yes, was probably way too expensive, but I sacrificed greatly and got it anyway as it will be my last hi fi purchase.

I wanted to simplify my room and by doing so ditched several separate 'boxes', much to the delight of my beloved.
Even if the Evo was available when I made that decision I would still have opted for the NAD - more features and upgrade-able via rear slots.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts