Cambridge Audio Amp

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if What HiFi Sound and Vision were planning to review the CA 350A amplifier? It seems only right as the previous model got a great review (5 stars) and you have also reviewed the CD player recently but not the amp. Any thoughts? Cheers :)

A

Anonymous

Hello Blackdawn,

I was looking for the reviews online untill a couple of weeks ago, when i just gave in and bought one, after getting a pair of Dali Ikon 1's for an absolute steal (£200 brand spanking new!!). The amp is excellent, and i have a project debut 3 SB and an airport express connected to it. I can safely say it's the best amp i have ever owned, and i never thought that i would get that sort of quality for the price i payed... very impressed.

I did listen to other amps in store before buying this one, but in my opinion, the CA350a just sounded so much better than the NAD and the Marantz they had on display...

If you need to know anything in particular about the amp just ask :)

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Vandal,

Wow, that's a great price for the Dali's. Enjoy your new system! Yes, the CA 350A looks a great amp on paper and visually too. For around £200 it looks unbeatable. Did you listen to the As300 by Yamaha as well? Will really have to go and listen to the CA soon. However, my Denon just keeps on going!
emotion-1.gif

matthewpiano

Blackdawn, I actually have a 350A which I've been using in my 2nd system and, funnily enough, I have been thinking about seeing how it sounds with the Dalis. I've hooked it up now and will have a listen over the weekend and then report back to you in this thread.

Generally speaking (when I have used the 350A previously) I rate this amp very highly for build quality and sound. Very involving and enjoyable indeed.

matthewpiano

Blackdawn-

First thoughts. The 350A brings out the rhythmic abilities of the Lektor 2s in spades - loads of detail and a fast, rhythmic bass that keeps you hooked. The combination is excellent at keeping all the different strands going. I tried some Yes and I've never heard a system keep control of it as well whilst bringing it completely to life. With this amp the Lektor 2s do lose a little of that bass-mid warmth that they give on the end of the Arcam or Rotel amps but you gain something more live sounding in the process.

What I haven't done yet is listen to anything intimate. Will do so tomorrow at some point and report back further.

Hope this helps you.

matthewpiano

Blackdawn, if you are still keeping a view of this thread...

The 350A/Lektor 2 combination has all the rhythmic ability that I described earlier and is brilliant at this aspect of the music. However, the 350A doesn't make the most of the Dali's wonderful midrange ability and unless playing fast and rhythmic music this combination doesn't hold the interest in the same way that the Rotel/Dali and Arcam/Dali combinations do.

I suspect you might miss qualities that your Denon amp possesses if you were to change for a 350A and would suggest looking more towards a 550A, Rotel RA-04SE or even as far as the Arcam A18 to get the best out of your speakers.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Matthewpiano, thanks for your recent posts back and for letting me know what you think about the 350A. Okay about the midrange issue. I think this is one of the reasons I liked the speakers so much in the first place. I'm in no rush to replace the Denon but at some point it would be nice. Have the RB-81's with the Denon at the moment and the Dali's are waiting to be used for a kitchen system.

What do you think of the Creek Evo 2 or Evo 5350? A match for the A18?

Also I use some Crimson interconnects on one system but is the crimsonplus any better?

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts