Calibrating Samsung 40C 8000 TV

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I've read the Calibration for dummies guide and loaded thhe software but can't get the eye-one dislay to sit snugly against the TV screen. The display pulls away from the screen and dangles on its USB cable. The eye-one does the same on my PC monitor unless I tilt it back at around 10 degrees. The only thing I can think of for my TV is to put some books under the front feet of its stand to tilt it back.

Has anyone got a better and safer idea for how to secure the eye-one against the LCD screen?

To cap it all, my laptop appears to be locked on a message saying "do not unplug, installing update 1 of 1".

Why is life such a *****?

Pittodriered

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
When using my display eye one i've always stuck to the screen using the suction pads. The marks from these wipe off easily using a microfibre cloth. If I remember correctly this is what the display eye one and the calibration from dummies instructons advise. I'm currently at work and dont have these at hand to refer to.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I was a bit too tentative in pushing the eye one against the screen. I now have to sort out the laptop which is still locked on the installing message. I've asked a question about it on the PC Advisor forum.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Laptop problem now sorted out after switching it on and off a few times. I will have another go at calibration tomorrow.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I give up! What is the trick? I've been pushing the eye-one hard against the screen and after a minute or two it pulls away. The screen is flexing slightly, so if I push any harder I feel as though I am likely to break the screen.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't use the Eyeone but a Spyder which also uses a suction cup to attach to the screen, now after a few tries with correct placement of the counter weight it sticks to both mu plasma and LCD sets. Does the eyeone have a counter weight?

Another option is to use a tripod and carefully position it against the eyeone meter to keep it firmly against the screen
emotion-15.gif

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Yes, it does have a counterweight attached to the USB cable. The problem seems to be that with a vertical screen, the bend in the cable as it comes over the top frame of the TV causes the eye-one to swing away from the screen surface. I have found that even when trying it out on my PC monitor on a tilt, the suction pads do not engage to hold it firmly in position.

I did think of holding the one-eye in place with my hand but don't see how I could do that and key into the laptop at the same time.

I don't have a tripod with an adaption to hold a one-eye.

I have now gone back to the supplier for advice.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I've been told by the supplier that the "suction pads" are not as such, but are only to keep the sensor away from the surface of the screen. I have been experimenting and have put sellotape around a twist in the usb cable to pull the cable away from the screen and allow the eye-one to sit flatly against the screen. This only works on my PC monitor if it is tilted upwards so it looks as though I will have to put something under the front legs of my TV.

Fingers crossed!

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
On second thoughts, don't like the idea of leaning TV backwards so am looking at finding a way of using my camera tripod to hold eye-one in place. Perhaps a wedge of cloth sellotaped to the tripod head will suffice.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
The spyder did come with a tripod adaptor but only for calibrating projectors so the way I connent mine to the tripod is to turn the flat piece of the tripod that the camera would conect to into a uprgiht position and good old velcro so the sensor holds in (bluetak will also do the trick but velcro is a stronger conection) and then gently rest the sensor against the screen makking sure the tripod is secure and not able to slip as imagine the mess that could make of your screen!
emotion-7.gif

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I've sellotaped some cloth around the tripod head as the camera fastening screw looked rather dangerous. It seems to work leaning the tripod against the eye-one but I've yet to try it in earnest. I like the idea of velcro and might give that a try.

Thanks for your advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts