Cables...

Ozmen

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I have just joined to HiFi world by ordering the new PM6006 and CD6006 today. I have also ordered Zensor 3s with them. It's now time to buy cables where I confused a lot! - In which way should I connect CD6006 and PM6006 to get the best result? Analog interconnect cable, optical TOS link or coaxial? And which brand you recommend since I have a tight budget? - Also please recommend brand/model for speaker cables for limited budget. - I know there will be power cables with the products but does it worth changing them with third party power cables? Thank you in advance...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ozmen said:
I have just joined to HiFi world by ordering the new PM6006 and CD6006 today. I have also ordered Zensor 3s with them. It's now time to buy cables where I confused a lot! - In which way should I connect CD6006 and PM6006 to get the best result? Analog interconnect cable, optical TOS link or coaxial? And which brand you recommend since I have a tight budget? - Also please recommend brand/model for speaker cables for limited budget. - I know there will be power cables with the products but does it worth changing them with third party power cables? Thank you in advance...

Which cables were being used when you auditioned your new system in the shop?

Go with those.

chebby said:
Ozmen said:

Go with those.

Without getting into another depate suggest you take chebbys advice and simply use the analogue interconnects. Do they supply any? If you got the equipment from the same store I would have asked them to throw in a pair for free.

gasolin

mabye buy 3 cheap interconnects form the same brand,model,series and then try for your self

The price doesn't matter as long as its from the same brand,models quality, it's just to use so you can try to hear if theres a difference

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine the DAC in the PM6006 is either the exact same one used in the CD player or closely related. So I doubt there is anything to be gained by connecting the two optically. But hey optical cables are cheaply available (once upon a time they'd throw one in with the CD player..bet they don't any more) so why not give it a try.

Ozmen said:
In which way should I connect CD6006 and PM6006 to get the best result? Analog interconnect cable, optical TOS link or coaxial? And which brand you recommend since I have a tight budget?

I would recommend to use analog interconnect, to take the advantage of the built in DAC and then turn the "source direct" function on on the amplifier for best results. Chord's C-Line (£35 a pair) sounds nice for the job.

Ozmen said:
Also please recommend brand/model for speaker cables for limited budget.

Audioquest's Type 4 solid core speaker cable brings nice and affordable results

Ozmen said:
I know there will be power cables with the products but does it worth changing them with third party power cables?

I would leave Marantz's power cables in place, they're really good

abacus

if cables were not supplied, just pop down to your local pro music store (Or online store) and buy from there, that way you will have the same cables as those used by the studios that produce the music you listen too.

Avoid Hi-Fi cable manufactures at all costs, as they will just rip you off with a fancy name and some gobbledegook.

Hope this helps

Bill

Ozmen

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I would imagine the DAC in the PM6006 is either the exact same one used in the CD player or closely related. So I doubt there is anything to be gained by connecting the two optically. But hey optical cables are cheaply available (once upon a time they'd throw one in with the CD player..bet they don't any more) so why not give it a try.
You're right, both device has the same DAC (CS4398) and yes I want opticals due to its price but I think I will go with analog interconnects with reasonable price.

Ozmen

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
chebby said:
Ozmen said:

Go with those.

Without getting into another depate suggest you take chebbys advice and simply use the analogue interconnects. Do they supply any? If you got the equipment from the same store I would have asked them to throw in a pair for free.

I think I will go with analog cables with reasonable price because they did not give any. But they did for speakers which is 2.5mm Profigold High Performance, so I need for banana plugs.

Ozmen

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
abacus said:
if cables were not supplied, just pop down to your local pro music store (Or online store) and buy from there, that way you will have the same cables as those used by the studios that produce the music you listen too.

Avoid Hi-Fi cable manufactures at all costs, as they will just rip you off with a fancy name and some gobbledegook.

Hope this helps

Bill

Thanks Bill, I will take into account your suggestion.

Ozmen

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Dariusz A said:
Ozmen said:
In which way should I connect CD6006 and PM6006 to get the best result? Analog interconnect cable, optical TOS link or coaxial? And which brand you recommend since I have a tight budget?

I would recommend to use analog interconnect, to take the advantage of the built in DAC and then turn the "source direct" function on on the amplifier for best results. Chord's C-Line (£35 a pair) sounds nice for the job.

Ozmen said:
Also please recommend brand/model for speaker cables for limited budget.

Audioquest's Type 4 solid core speaker cable brings nice and affordable results

Ozmen said:
I know there will be power cables with the products but does it worth changing them with third party power cables?

I would leave Marantz's power cables in place, they're really good

Thanks for your helpful advice. I will try that. Do you have any experience with Chord's C-Line interconnects with Marantz or you suggest just theoretically?

Ozmen said:
Do you have any experience with Chord's C-Line interconnects with Marantz or you suggest just theoretically?

Yes, I used to utilise them C-Lines between my Marantz PM6005 and another Marantz source, before I upgraded my HiFi set up, and they really sounded like a brilliant match. I couldn't think about anything better for around £35 at that time. Maybe some solid core interconnets from Audioquest, but rather not below their Golden Gate range, and this must be around £50, so it would be better to invest in DNMs (should be a couple of Pounds less than £50 including delivery). DNMs are a type of interconnects/speaker cables which will fantastically work with all types of HiFi set-ups, doesn't matter entry levels or high ends, so they're pretty much future proof

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
In this case I would attach the cd player to the amp with a well made, branded (but not overly expensive) set of rca cables. The fact that the DAC is identical for both units would push me to allowing the digital inputs free for any other sources I may require.

Enjoy the new set up, I'd imagine you will be happy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts