By-pass AV or not?

rybzan

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Hope you guys can help?

I have a Samsung UE65HU7500, Pioneer SC LX88 and Panasonic BDT 700.

In order to get the best picture out of the player, shall I connect directly to TV, or go to AV and then to TV?

I know the SCLX88 has a HDMI v2.0, thats why I bought it, even to upscale to 4k at 60p, but will it lesser the quality of the picture, or improve it?

Thanks

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello rybzan! I'm personally glad that you bought the flat Samsung 7500, rather than the curved 8500 which I know from other threads that you had been considering. I'm not sure if this is your first system or not, but it's a good base for a helluva heavyweight system to make your first foray into home cinema.

Since most (sensible) people leave all video processing in the AV receiver switched off or default or neutral, it won't make any difference to the picture if you go via the receiver. It will, however, make a GREAT DEAL of difference to the sound of your lovely new Panasonic Blu-Ray player if you rely on only the television's sound, rather than taking advantage of your equally lovely Pioneer receiver being output from your speaker package, grrrr! So go from Blu-Ray player to receiver and then to television, please.

Oh, I notice that you don't mention which speakers or speaker package you are using???

rybzan

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
My first system

I have an Onkyo NR 609 and Sony BDP S480 that Im replacing with the new setup. B&W DM 603 main, B&W DM 601 s3 as a surround, ASW500 sub

The current setup was all passed through the AV, but I though I want the make this one right from the start. TV booked for calibration next in two weeks time..

so shall I pass all through AV and set the AV to pass 4k to TV from all sources?

rybzan

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Asking a wrong question. Am I to set the dvd player to upscale to 4k and then just pass through the AV, or leave the setting in dvd on automatic, and set AV to 4k out??

Sun_Shang_Xiang

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
rybzan said:
Asking a wrong question. Am I to set the dvd player to upscale to 4k and then just pass through the AV, or leave the setting in dvd on automatic, and set AV to 4k out??

Hi, I believe your Blu-ray player has dual hdmi so you've probably routed the audio direct to your receiver and have the option of sending the picture direct to your tv . I'm afraid I don't have a simple answer to your question if you had something like a 4k upscaling lumagen then the answer would be let the lumagen do all the upscaling and video processing. In your case you'll have to experiment between the three video processing options on your receiver , or tv or blu-ray player. try blu-ray discs that you know well with the video processing switched off on the other two bits of equipment and the video processing done by 1 bit of equipment at a time.- not a bad dilemma to be in with nice kit like yours.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts