Buzzing/crackling from CD player at certain frequencies

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have a lovely old Marantz CD63 KI CD player which has sounded fantastic since I bought it but recently has been exhibiting a buzzing/crackling sound (hard to describe) from one channel, which comes and goes with the sound of the music. (mainly it doesn't seem to like Bob Dylan's voice)

I know that's a bit vague but does this sound like it could be an issue with caps or in the DAC - I don't think it's had any new caps since new. I was planning on upgrading some caps anyway but if this noise is unlikely to be a capacitor issue I won't bother :(

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid it is difficult to diagnose given the details you have listed. You mention a DAC, are you using a separate DAC? If so, the problem is more likely to be there than in the CD transport.

Just as a test, swap the L+R channels over on the output of the DAC (or CD player if no DAC). Does the buzzing noise transfer to the other speaker? or is it the same side?

If it transfers, then the problem is indeed in the CD player or DAC. If it stays on the same side, it is the amp or speaker.

I have some sympathy with your system, I am not that keen on Bob Dylan either.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
You will have to forgive my lack of experience here!

Yes I was readying myself for the inevitable Bob Dylan comments - other than the fact he cannot sing I am a big fan!

I am referring to the onboard DAC of the player which I suspected may have gone faulty. I've tried the player with more than one amp with the same results so I assume it is the player.

Interestingly, there is a chance it may be fixed - I remembered something very vague about the muting transistors and this sort of fault before so I removed them along with the headphone amp circuit and the problem seems to be gone - perhaps one or the other of those things was causing it? (Worthwhile mods BTW even if your player doesn't have a problem)

Will keep listening and update the thread.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts