Buying hifi without auditioning.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Buying online (without an audition) can be very convenient, that is until you run into a problem and have to do a return. You have to package the item, take it to the post office, and pay for shipping. This can be expensive and time consuming, versus driving to a local dealer and handing them the gear within minutes or an hour or two at most.

I learned the hard way earlier this year when I bought a pair of Wharfedale Evo2-10 speakers that just didn't work out for me. Now I'm going to sell them (I got them cheap enough, so the loss shouldn't be much). I just find them to be too bright and harsh. It's a lot of time and aggravation spent that proper auditioning could have avoided. I learned the lesson of what a good local dealer is worth, especially considering I had to send the Evo2's back one time due to a noise I heard within when I knocked on it (this drove up the cost as I paid 3x the shipping of what I should have paid).

I think auditions are more than worthwhile. Listening to gear yourself is the ultimate test, and even if auditions (other than in home) are flawed they are better than nothing, which is even more flawed. An audition of speakers for example, with your own amp and CD player but at a dealer rather than at home - it's not perfect but you can certainly compare various speakers this way and narrow things down. This is what I'll be doing later this month...auditioning 7 or 8 different speakers with my own amp and CDP and I'm quite confident that I'll be able to narrow the field down to 1 or 2. Chances are if I prefer those at the retailer I will also like them at home. Not a guarantee, but it does increases the odds, as you've eliminated all but two variables (time and the room).

A

Anonymous

not many people are aware that when you buy from a business seller on ebay, and the auction is listed as a 'buy it now', you have an unconditional return policy i.e. you can return the item within 14 days (or longer if specified) and will get a full refund (minus shipping cost) ... even if the item is in perfect condition and you don't like the item .... this applies to all countries of the EU

In auction format, it works different ... the business seller does not have to accept the item back if it was described properly ... (unless he states that he accepts returns)

when buying on a buy it now from a private seller, unless the seller states that he has an unconditional returns policy, you cannot get a refund if you don't like the item for some or other reason

so its always better to purchase from a shop and audition, but sometimes funds/budget does not allow that

More and more companies are listing their items on ebay at reduced prices to what it is sold in their shops

A

Anonymous

For those of us that don't live in one of the UK's great urban sprawls, auditioning hifi in the "local" store can be quite tricky.

I'm quite lucky, as living in Stonehaven, 15 miles south of Aberdeen, I can pop into Holburn Hifi in Aberdeen and audition their range almost at my convenience. However, they are pretty much the only show in town, and not a huge outfit, so I'm limited to the brands they deal in.

The only real alternative is to drive down to Edinburgh or Glasgow (2 and 3 hours each way respectively) and wander into hifi dealers who don't know me from Adam.

In such circumstances (and imagine what it's like if you live on either the West Coast, the Hebridies, Orkneys or Shetlands) relying on magazine reviews, web pages, etc. is a must. And when it comes to web pages / boards (like this one) that relay a tale of woe about brand X amplifier going "phut" ten minutes after plugging in, taking it back to the retailer isn't always that easy, so we take such "warnings" with a great deal of attention.

A

Anonymous

When I started buying hifi (~18 years ago) I relied primarily on WHF reviews with some auditioning in local shops. Kit viewed negatively by WHF or unreferenced at all was unlikely to get a look-in.

Things have changed over the years with the growth of info available on the web. I think the forums vs mags arguments is pretty pointless to be honest - mag reviews should be more controlled and have the resources to compare kit; forums bring a far greater array of individual opinions and the experiences of owners who have lived with kit for much longer periods than a mag reviewer.

Nowadays I tend to use forums/online opinions much more, buy second-hand kit (being confident that I'm paying a fair price), demo it in my own home and sell-on if necessary. I've gone off auditioning in shops much as I've had multiple experiences where kit's sounded vastly different in my home (admittedly a tricky room with 12' ceilings, open-plan, wood floors & huge windows).

Each to their own - things are much better now you can use the combination of mag reviews, web research, dealer auditioning (if they stock what you're considering) and home demos (if possible).

T

the record spot

In fairness Darren, Orkney only just got mains power and they're finding the Dansettes are a big step-up from the shellac they'd been used to.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:In fairness Darren, Orkney only just got mains power and they're finding the Dansettes are a big step-up from the shellac they'd been used to.

Just don't tell 'em Jimmy Shand is dead
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

dim_span:pleeeze dont let them review the silver high breed ... I'd be gutted if they said it was carp!
emotion-9.gif

Read all about it. WHSV Reviewers turn an interconnect into a fish.

A

Anonymous

barnsleydave:
dim_span:pleeeze dont let them review the silver high breed ... I'd be gutted if they said it was carp!
emotion-9.gif

Read all about it. WHSV Reviewers turn an interconnect into a fish.
emotion-2.gif

So not carp........but only 3 stars for the metaphor 2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts