Buying from USA

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Would a Squeezebox duet and a Buffalo Terastation bought in the US be exactly the same spec as over here in Blighty?

Would there be any problems with them over here?

John Duncan

The power supplies will be different (though you could get replacements for the squeezebox, maybe not for the terastation, I'd have to look) and you most likely won't have a worldwide warranty if it breaks.

The amount you'd save (£77 minus whatever it costs you to get a proper power supply on the Squeezebox, somewhat more of a saving for the terastation, but to me that's an expensive solution) isn't enough to swing it for me, personally.......

John Duncan

Further info - power supply on the terastation is internal, no mentiono of switchable between 110v and 240v, so you'd need a transformer. Not ideal.

But then, to me it's an expensive solution, depending on what you want to do with it - I have my PC on all the time so it can act as the server and I have no need of true NAS - you may have different requirements.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info JD.

Would I be better off with a different NAS? I do not want my laptop on all the time.

I wanted something that was convenient for music to link up to my Onkyo/Kef system with a view to expand the zones in the future.

Initially I was going to get an ipod classic 160gb and onkyo dock but then had a change of direction into the squeezebox/nas route.

One of the probs I do have is that my laptop is an old spec and only has 40gb storage. If I do invest in either of the systems I need to get a nas or additional hard drive.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

John Duncan

Well if you have a network at home, wired or wireless, it should be straightforward to get more storage onto it. What is less straightforward is making it squeezebox compatible, as I think it needs to be running SqueezeServer (or whatever it's called). 320gb of Linkstation will cost you less than a hundred quid, can have Squeezeserver installed (there are instructions here for the tech savvy, can have additional drives added for backing up or more storage etc etc.

The terastation starts at a TB, adds RAID, over-spec'd power supply, hot-swappable disks blah blah - that may be overkill for you.

A

Anonymous

Interesting.

Is there a 'plug and play' alternative? I am fairly tech savvy but switched off just reading those instructions!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts