Buying advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi chaps,

So I’m looking for help or at least a good starting point because I’m just lost in a world of choices out there. I’m not looking for top of the range gear and I’ve not got much cash.

My Aiwa XR-HG7MD hi-fi has died a death but I was pretty much just using it as an amp and tuner anyway, I had my XBOX, PC, BluRay and TV all going to it analogue via a phono switch.

So what I think like to do is keep the speakers (SX-WNH81) and maybe just buy an amp? And then as time goes on and circumstances allow I’ll add to it a DAB Radio, CD Player, new surround speakers etc. So I would like what I buy, to be fairly future proof, within reason.

The speakers have two cables (high frequency (phone plug) and lo freq (normal speaker wire), would I be able to buy an amp that supports them? I’m not sure if I want an amp or an AV receiver?

What I want to plug up is:
X Box (Component video and Optical Sound, not a HDMI one)
Blu Ray (HDMI supporting Dolby HD) (I have a Panasonic BD35)
PC (phono but I’m thinking of buying optical sound card)
TV (Optical and Phono outputs on my Samsung LE37R87)

I could put the Blu Ray in to the TV via HDMI and plug the optical out of the TV in to the amp so doesn’t need to have HDMI I guess?

Ideally I’d spend £150 now on an amp but will go to £250 for the right gadget.

Your help and advice would be really appreciated.

Pete

PS I read a bit about Dolby Headphone technology, if the amp had this that’d be good, or is it just a load old twoddle that?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forums
emotion-1.gif

With your budget, IMO, you'd be best aiming for a good example of an Arcam Alpha 7 or 8 integrated amo or the NAD C320BEE integrated amp via eBay.

I'd also be tempted to look for some better speakers as the Awia ones wont really do the amp any justice to be honest; I also have a feeling that the crossovers will have been in the Awia unit and not in the speakers (the essential wiring inside to split the signal between mid/bass drivers and the tweeter).

With regards to speakers; have a look for some Tannoy Custom F1's or the Q Acoustic 1010's. You could possibly find some Acoustic Energy AE 100's as well; all will need speaker stands ideally to get them to sing at their best.

The above amps and speakers should be available for less then £250 via eBay; you could possibly get the stands as well.

Let us know how you get on
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

not sure if a Pioneer A-400 can accomodate all of the components that you wish to connect .... but, if so, a good one can be bought on ebay from between £80-£160

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts