Burning in new speaker cables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am a newbie here so hopefully this is a reasonable question...........

I have just bought some new speaker cables (Chord Oddysey 4 bi-wired) and was wondering what the recommendations are for burning them in. How long does it take and how do I do it? Do I leave the source switched on all night/day and, if so, is it affected by volume?

Thanks

Toon

A

Anonymous

It really doesn't do anything! As long as the cables have reached their optimum temperature (and hence resistivity), there is NO difference - it really is a silly proposal which makes hi-fi a laughing stock - just like sticking your cables in absolute-zero temperatures will improve them...it really is nonsense...

edit: Please don't start a debate on this one - science and ears will prove you wrong!

A

Anonymous

I don't think it makes a lot of difference, just use it as you would anyway and the system will slightly mature over time, I like to think of it as an organic process....

A

Anonymous

Thanks - it seems I have got off to a bad start by asking a stupid question.

I will try to think of more sensible questions in the future and switch the hi-fi off for now
emotion-10.gif

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Not a stupid question - as much as I wholeheartedly agree with the replies above, many manufacturers do state that sound quality will improve after a "burning in period" - Atlas said the very thing on the interconnects I bought a couple of weeks ago...

A

Anonymous

I agree - not a stupid question at all. There are many people who will practically go to fists defending the opposite of what was said above. Personally I really don't think 'burning in' speaker cables will make any real difference; but as with all things subjective we each have and are entitled to our own opinions.

A

Anonymous

Toon1526:

I will try to think of more sensible questions in the future and switch the hi-fi off for now
emotion-10.gif

LOL. Don't do either of those! What would we have to talk about? Seriously though, these types of thing are a source of constant heated debate on here. You're not the first to ask about this, and you won't be the last, so no need for blushes.

A

Anonymous

Toon1526:

emotion-10.gif

Don't be silly. And are you, like me, a silly Toon fan? 1-1 poor game.....

A

Anonymous

Graham_Thomas:Toon1526:

emotion-10.gif

Don't be silly. And are you, like me, a silly Toon fan? 1-1 poor game.....

Oh, no no - not a silly question at all - especially for someone who is new to the subject!
emotion-2.gif

But it's one of these subjects that gets very heated for no particular reason...partly because there are such opposed views to the argument in hand!

And I didn't see that you were new...Welcome to the What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision forums, Toon1526!

Anyway, you should be commanding us with that battleship of a system! Wow!

A

Anonymous

Yes - Toon fan. Our penalty was dubious today but I couldn't have handled a second defeat by the Mackams in 1 season.

Kinnear would have a field day on this forum mis-pronouncing all the hi-fi kit!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Toon1526:
Yes - Toon fan. Our penalty was dubious today but I couldn't have handled a second defeat by the Mackams in 1 season.

SMB fella, SMB

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Toon1526:

SMB fella, SMB

ÿ

We'll tackem down with us - the mackems!

Given has signed for Man U - they have a very, very good keeper.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:JoelSim:Toon1526:

SMB fella, SMB

We'll tackem down with us - the mackems! Given has signed for Man U - they have a very, very good keeper.

He's signed for Man C...

A

Anonymous

I had made new loudspeakers with good filters in it.
They said it will take some time that the condensators will play in, or burn in.
This is the same story for the coils, including wires, solderings ed.
You must play music through it, leaving the amp on current alone is not enough.
After a month i would say, it will sound more natural, especial the condensators.
It could be emagination, because your ears will get used to it in that time, but i believe that the current must search first the quickest way through the conductors.
Not all electrons know in the beginning where to end, like a new ruff river that first must be chapen bij the water.

A

Anonymous

Don't be worried too much about 'burning in' periods. Just enjoy your components and your music.

A

Anonymous

I see you have Russ Andrews mains block in your kit list - opinion on it? Worth it?

A

Anonymous

basshound:Duboracle:like a new ruff river that first must be chapen bij the water.

Eh?

Do not question the oracle.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
tractorboy:basshound:Duboracle:like a new ruff river that first must be chapen bij the water.

Eh?

Do not question the oracle.

I think he's sating 'Like a newly cut river bed must be shaped by the water'.
I think I disagree, but think I undersatand what he's saying about electron flow down cable.

A

Anonymous

up the music:tractorboy:basshound:Duboracle:like a new ruff river that first must be chapen bij the water. Eh? Do not question the oracle. I think he's sating 'Like a newly cut river bed must be shaped by the water'. I think I disagree, but think I undersatand what he's saying about electron flow down cable.

And the river bed will get smoother and smoother in time and the water streams faster and faster.

Currend behaves like water in a way.

A

Anonymous

Rivers flow faster according to the slope as well. Are you saying that we should run all our cables downhill
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

only if you can scientifically prove that electicity is affected by gravity

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts