building a hi fi system around a MacbookPro

gwardsmith

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I want to build a hi fi system around my Macbook Pro, using iTunes. My budget is £500 and I mainly listen to classical music. Where do I go from here? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Gabrielle

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
To be honest, you can build pretty much any system your budget will allow around a Macbook! First things first, do you have anything which could be used or any pre-conceptions on what you would like e.g. traditional amp and speakers, powered / active speakers, external DAC etc. etc. or are you genuinely starting from scratch?

Secondly, do you need the Macbook Pro to be remote from the hifi and / or yourself i.e. would you be looking for the Macbook to be connected directly into the system, or to stream to the system wirelessly? And how would you look to control what music you wanted i.e. direct from iTunes on the Macbook or remotely? If remotely, do you already own a smart device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android phone etc.) which you could use to control it, or would this need to be included?

John Duncan

Hi Gabrielle, and welcome. Can I ask a question first; are you happy for the Macbook to be tethered to the system or would you like it to be wireless? The wireless option may be in danger of breaking your budget, though not necessarily...

gwardsmith

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Many thanks for these quick replies!

I am genuinely starting from scratch and don't have an fixed ideas. I can control the Mac by my iPhone. I don't mind plugging in my Mac, but can see the point of wireless as well. Basically, I'm keenest on whatever gives the best sound.

John Duncan

Right. Well if you don't mind plugging in your Mac, I'd be inclined to spend your money where it will benefit sound rather than adding wireless functionality (which basically means adding an Airport Express for a hundred quid or so, which you can always do later).

Therefore, I'd be inclined to buy:

A DAC (digital-to-audio-converter, to improve the quality of audio output from your Mac);

An Amp;

Speakers.

If it were me I'd probably be looking at something like a Marantz PM6004 and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s and a modest DAC like the CYP DAC just to isolate the audio from your noisy laptop. This would leave you a few quid left over for stands (essential) and cables (no need to push the boat out).

An alternative would be to replace the DAC and amp with the Onkyo TX-8050 which has a DAC built in; I can't speak for it myself but it's getting rave reviews from some respected members here (matthewpiano I know has a strong focus on classical and is running one with some Quad 11Ls to good effect).

Of course, there's always second hand, which could reap great benefits if you know what to look for...

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
IMHO £500 won't be sufficient for playing classical (unless you go for headphone). I'd look at a set of AVI ADM9T speakers with their own DAC and amp, just connect to the digital audio line out of the MacBook and your away, for about £1200

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Another option would be to go with an amp with built in AirPlay - this will allow you to stream music direct from iTunes (so Macbook doesn't need to be tethered to the system). The Marantz MCR603 is an example of a mini hi-fi system which does this and they're offering a free upgrade for the AirPlay system at the moment according to the website. This obviously has the benefit of playing standard CDs, standard FM and DAB radio, internet radio + USB port etc. for more flexibility in the future. If you really only want music from your Macbook, there's probably a better option with less functionality, but it's worth a thought.

Richer Sounds are doing a deal on this and some speakers which fits into your budget (clicky), like the Mission MX1s or the Dali Zensor 1s (though you'd need a bit extra for cables and stands unfortunately). Make sure you go take a listen first though!

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>Ridiculous generalisation...<

I disagree, my system is OK for most classical music, it still isn't up to reproducing a full orchestra playing Mahler and the only item less than £500 was the cables ;)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
amcluesent said:
>Ridiculous generalisation...<

I disagree, my system is OK for most classical music, it still isn't up to reproducing a full orchestra playing Mahler and the only item less than £500 was the cables ;)

Perhaps not for your own lofty standards oh great one, but I think there are plenty of people who somehow manage to listen to and enjoy classical music on systems costing less than £500...

daveh75

To add another option, take your MBP along to a pro-audio store and go listen to some active monitors. Plenty of options in your price range, Yamaha, Mackie, Genelec, KRK, Alesis and M-Audio to name a few. Better bang for your buck than 'traditional' hifi [IMO]

gwardsmith

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
OK - now I'm really getting confused. There are so many different options. If I increased my budget to £750, would that make these decisions any easier.

Thanks for all your suggestions though - you are all being tremendous help.

gwardsmith

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
OK - now I'm really getting confused. There are so many different options. If I increased my budget to £750, would that make these decisions any easier.

Thanks for all your suggestions though - you are all being tremendous help.

Juzzie Wuzzie

I think you've started with a "wide" question, so you get plenty of views on both approach, and spend. I'd suggest setting a budget at what you are comfortable spending, and then begin to narrow things down from there. If you've only listened on a Goodman's stereo from Argos, pretty much everything suggested on these forums will be an improvement. A lot will depend on subjective questions such as a) what is the size of the room you are listening in b) what 'convenience' items do you i) require or ii) desire c) is space a premium / or keeping a significant other happy?

John Duncan

You're right, there are loads of options (see also: hundreds), but we ought to be able to steer you in the right direction, from where you can go and try a couple of things out yourself and see what floats your boat.

Juzzie Wuzzie's qestions above are good ones though and the answers might help narrow things down; as would the answer to amscluent's hint - when you say classical, what do you mean? Recreating Mahler's fifth at realistic levels might indeed be beyond your budget, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't buy (or at least start) a really enjoyable system with your original budget.

Also hinted at above - do you think loudspeakers should look a bit like this:

UCq8hPMjee8wPlmZoPbA_Ks9iBE1_-Ykg0jY8tgZyLD9wYmmDsZE34dc0tqLXDoopMRHJtd7nQFGrxt9NeyfoSXxX-hJ9N-5U2lMRF069N8c1s_MzYhjnB0TZD6tF8MtwkgWq8J2s8ZTun_e0NvwFIEzk8SwtUXy-O5o17AXeWehQzUKUU6DTQ

or would it be OK if they looked a bit like this:

362685.jpg

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Passive system suggestion - Onkyo TX-8050 new @ £250, Apple Airport Express used @ up to £70 (Try Apple store for refurbished kit), leaving the rest for some speakers, lots of choice in the new and used market, I used to have B&W 602's and rather liked them, can be found for around £150 in good condition, maybe even less now.

This set up will allow you to play your music without tethering the Mac.

Active system suggestion - see my sig, cost me approx £550 on the used market, but all 'mint' equipment. This would mean using the Mac as a base, with the iPhone/iPod as a remote.

Both systems are just ideas and will give you good results, many variations on the themes can be found. You have a budget that will comfortably get you good sound quality, good hunting.

gwardsmith

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
How exactly do you use an iPhone as a remote? Also, would I notice a difference in the sound between active and passive systems?

Thanks for all the help.

John Duncan

1) download the 'Remote' app from the app store (its free). You can then pair with your iTunes library and control it from your phone. You can try that now actually...

2) Active systems have amps built in and a different style of crossover (the bit that splits the signal between high and low frequencies) and generally have, by design, less distortion than passive systems. How noticeable this is in real world and at real volumes is up for debate; I've heard plenty of passive systems that I've found more enjoyable than the few active ones I've heard, and your room will probably have more influence on the sound than any crossover topology you might choose. YMMV, of course, and it often does.

To answer your question above about 'what's the difference'; the first pair are passive and tend to be what domestic loudspeakers look like, the second pair are actives but are designed for studio use and therefore don't pretend in any way to be pretty or decor-friendly. Most actives below a grand look a bit like that black plastic box and I wouldn't have them in the house.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Yes there are differences. Due to the nature of the different types of crossover networks employed.

Generally active speakers/systems, produce less distortion and for the pro audio market at least, are usually designed to have as flat a frequency response as possible. That is not to say that all actives sound similar.

The iPhone would be used as a remote by installing the iTunes 'remote' app, that will be able to access your Mac and control the iTunes running on it.

All Apple products are designed to work seamlessly with each other and this solution works very well. My system can be remotely accessed and controlled by my partners iPad using this remote app . The iPad can also access the iTunes library on my Mac and stream from the Mac to the iPad anywhere in the house using the 'home share' function.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts