Builders sand cooking instructions

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well I'm not an expert, but given no one else has replied yet, I'd say since the idea is to dry the sand out, I'd suggest any temperature above 100 degrees C for a few hours should be sufficient. And putting it in a container which can withstand those temperatures would also be advised :)

scene

If you're talking about sand to put in a speaker (which I assume this is for), I'd follow the prof's advice and bake it in a low oven (over 100C) to ensure it's absolutely dry - spreading it out on a metal baking tray, or in one of those disposable foil containers should do, and leave it in there for about an hour or so and then leave to cool...

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
vpacalypse said:
Bought 2 packs of builders sand.

how long do i keep them in the over? what gas mark?

or will simply placing them next to a radiator for a while do the job?

Use the sand to repair a patio or similar. Buy some cat litter, seems to be the popular choice recently, it's already fully dried and probably costs less than your sand. But, subjectively, I'll bet there is only one true path and that it costs the earth to follow it.

:cheers:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
vpacalypse said:
That sounds seriously extreme, i'm gonna plant a bag outside a radiator for a while

Really, I didn't think it was that extreme - I must lead a more exciting life than I thought :)

Remember, the purpose is to ensure there's absolutely no water left in the sand, otherwise this will (eventually) rust your stands. I'm not sure planting the bag next to a radiator is going to cut it personally, but it's up to you.

scene

BenLaw said:
IMO a radiator at distance is not going to replicate the heat of a kiln, that's what you need to aim for, for the reasons the prof says.

+1 to that.

Kiln dried sand - the sort you use for jointing paving is the cheapest thing (I have a couple of sacks at home for a new patio), it's really, really cheap - I've seen it for <£5 for 25KG!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I bought a 15kg bag of play sand from Argos not too long back for £2-99.The OP thinks it's extreme to dry it out in the oven? At the time I bought it the oven wasn't working, so I got a seriously big old saucepan and used the hob! Constantly stirring it around with the help of a mate, and IIRC took around one and a half hours. Now that's what I call extreme!

I bought a 15kg bag of play sand from Argos not too long back for £2-99.

The OP thinks it's extreme to dry it out in the oven? At the time I bought it the oven wasn't working, so I got a seriously big old saucepan and used the hob! Constantly stirring it around with the help of a mate, and IIRC it took around one and a half hours to do the whole bag. Now that's what I call extreme!

A

Anonymous

i've dried sand in a trough on top of a radiator in the past. Just leave it a few days and it will be totally dry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts