Budget upgrade for confused newbie

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Looking for advice on 'what next?' having just moved to a larger flat along with my 3000 classical CDs (and a wife!)

I find I am increasingly reliant on Spotify and download FLACS via my MacBook for new purchases.

I have a budget system with Eltax Amp & Eltax Monitor III speakers bought years ago. My Father got me a ONKYO DX7355 CD last month so will stick with this for the time being.

I have a budget of approximately £500 (but I am very good at hunting out bargains!).

Would apprecite some advice on what Amp / Speakers to get AND / OR any advice on a CHEAP way of improving sound quality from MacBook - ideally I would like to combine the two in the simplest way.

Complete novice and not a tech head - but would be grateful for good advice.

Thanks

BB

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a MacBook, but I think the headphone out is also an optical out.

Good news as you can connect to a DAC with an optical lead.

The decision then would be an amp with a DAC, something like the onkyo TX8050 (extra bells and whistles) discussed here

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/onkyo-tx-8050-alert-its-arrived-its-arrived

or a separate DAC (don't need to spend loads), and an amp like the Marantz PM6004.

Eitherway you'd have £200 or so to get some decent bookshelf / standmount speakers.

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
If looking at "an amp with a DAC" then I can recommend the Rotel RA-11 (little brother of the RA-12). Have just bought one and so far I love it (but then again I have loved the Rotel sound for years)...but worth a listen if 'amp with DAC' is the way you decide to go. :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts