Budget Hi Fi amp for bass?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was looking for a sub £200 Hi Fi amp which is good for bass, this is because i generally listen to bass reliant music such as Dubstep and electro.
Thanks very much

Jack.

A

Anonymous

Well currently I don't have speakers either, i figured that the amp would be the best place to start. Normally I used headphones but have recently craved a better sound system btw I use the xb-500 of which I think are great but the review was terrible. I plan to use my Ipod or Imac to play music from it.
Thanks, Jack

A

Anonymous

Not sure whether you want new or old but I would try Ebay with that budget and find the best amp, or amp + speakers you can for the price. Look for amps which are high in power and speakers which have large drivers/cabinets. This should enable you to get lots of bass for that type of bassy music. Hope this helps.

T

the record spot

I'd maybe slightly caution against that, in as much as a large driver and hefty cabinet is no guarantee that the bass will be any good - plenty of boxes out there that can do big woolly low frequencies.

I'd find a good fast standmount, or a well designed floorstander.

Given your budget, and given they're on a deal, the Q Acoustics 1030i, or a bit further up the scale, the 1050i will give you the bass you want, but in a well designed speaker. Given the 1050i has a 92db sensitivity, you can partner it with a 30wpc or even a 25 watter and get a decent output.

Aim for quality and you'll get a decent return. It's all about the balance and knowing the characteristics of the kit you're after in meeting the sound you want to hear.

A

Anonymous

I was thinking about the amp alone for £200 rather an entire system as i am keen to get an amp up and running first

T

the record spot

Check out Richer Sounds then, the NAD C355 amp is £249 (as per the WHFS&V ad this month). It'll do you the bass you need, you can add a power amp, it was nearer double the money on original release and there isn't anything else at the price comes near it.

Sometimes brands get trotted out, but for the money, you get a whole lot of amp for the money. Okay, the Titanium (posh grey) finish might not appeal, but hell, your there otherwise.

Get another £400 together and stick some Leema Xeros on the end of it and you'll rock aplenty. Failing that, see the aforementioned Qs if you want floorstanders (the Leemas being standmounts).

A

Anonymous

Now that sounds good, as this is a long term project I may find I will modify the thread later on. Thanks for all the help!

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
jackstep - i listen to electro, dnb, min tech and some dubstep. i can really recommend a NAD amp for your taste in music, good bass and nice warm sound. i use a NAD c325bee with B&W 601 s2 speakers. this combo works great together, and can be bought fairly cheap 2nd hand on ebay.

is this your first proper hifi system? if so i really recommend the 2nd hand route, that way if you don't like something you can just sell it on, usually at no loss, and try something else. plus your money will go a lot further

A

Anonymous

That amp sounds good, or the 326 more modern version. I've heard the 600 series from B&W are brilliant, but unfortunately a friend of mine already has a pair and so i would prefer not to get B&W speakers, are there competitors, especially when it comes to the bass output?

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Maybe some Tannoy Custom F4's, Q Acoustic 1050i, Acoustic energy Neo 3's or Monitor Audio RX2 for standmounters. Or try some older speakers from Ebay.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
hi if you on a budget go for a nad they are well know for punchy tigh well controlled bass and the power figures are true not some marketing ploy to sell you gear.

A

Anonymous

The NAD C355 and the Neo 3's most definitely
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I think I'd prefer the Monitor sound RX2's or get the BR2's and then upgrade. This is because they are book shelf speakers and apparently the bass is great! I suppose its just a matter of waiting to find a good pair on ebay for a cheap price, I think I'll also use the NAD 326BEE as its better/ more powerful than the NAD 315 but not as expensive as the NAD C355!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The NAD C326BEE integrated amp is VERY good but so is the NAD C355BEE; for the price it is at currently it would make more sense to go for the latter.

Both will drive the M/A RX2's very well indeed and these speakers are years ahead of the BR2's.

I demo'd the M/A RX2's quite a bit and was very close to buying them but decided that in gloss black and with decent stands; they would cost just as much as the RX6's and take up the same footprint!

I listen to a lot of electronica music (Leftfield, Layo & Bushwacka, Fischerspooner, Massive Attack, Delphic etc...) and the NAD and Monitor Audio combos do very well indeed
emotion-1.gif

Add some Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable and the Chord Crimson, Atlas Equator or Black Rhodium Prelude interconnect and you'll be laughing
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Good luck on your amp hunt!

Just make sure in the near future that you invest in speakers or sub that gives you the lower notes. I frequently go round to friends and, after putting on a cd, scream "YOU ARE MISSING SO MUCH!". (Think Jon Hopkins, Trentemoller ect)

With the music you listen to, make sure you can hear all that is on the tune, including 50-20hz!

A

Anonymous

100% per cent right about forking out the extra £100 for the amp, but I guess if I get it second hand it wont matter anyway, spose other forums is the best place to find second hand amp's and speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts